The Ghana Armed Forces (GAF) has denied reports the body of the late Airman Lance Corporal Vondee Atsu Francis, who died alongside songstress Ebony, has been detained “till it serves a sentence passed by a court-martial.”
It said claims that this and other actions will be taken are false, calling for people to be sensitive towards the emotions of the rank and file of GAF and the family of the deceased Airman.
Social media messages that went viral indicating that the late soldier went AWOL and following the tragic incident his body will be court-martialed.
The rumours added that his uniform will be hanged in a guardroom for 40 days before his remains will be released to his family for burial.
It has also been rumoured that his family will not be given any entitlement.
However, the Armed Forces said in a release that the mortal remains of the late LAC Vondee was recovered on Friday and deposited at the 37 Military Hospital where the corpse was formally identified by his family in line with Standard Operating Procedures.
“GAF owes a responsibility to the family of the deceased Airman to preserve and produce the mortal remains for burial and funeral rites.
“It is, therefore, inaccurate and malicious for anyone to insinuate that the body of the late LAC Vondee Atsu has been detained till it serves a sentence passed by a court-martial,” GAF said.
It added that investigations are being instituted to unravel the full circumstances surrounding the sad incident.
Read the statement below
RE: FALSE PUBLICATION ABOUT GHANA ARMED FORCES IN RESPECT OF LATE 203615 LAC VONDEE FRANCIS ATSU
The Ghana Armed Forces (GAF) has noted with deep concern the false publication which has gone viral on social media after the late Airman 203615 LAC Vondee Atsu Francis died in a tragic road traffic accident with the popular music artiste Ebony.
The reports which allege some actions taken by GAF are not only false but demonstrates insensibility towards the emotions of the rank and file of GAF and the family of the deceased Airman.
Following reports of the accident, the mortal remains of the late LAC Vondee Atsu Francis was recovered on Friday afternoon to the 37 Military Hospital where the corpse was formally identified by the family in line with GAF Standard Operating Procedures.
GAF owes a responsibility to the family of the deceased Airman to preserve and produce the mortal remains for burial and funeral rites.
All military personnel who get involved in accidents are first evacuated as soon as practicable irrespective of where the accident occurred.
Recent cases include the evacuation of the corpse of the Late Cpl Fletcher Carl who died in a road traffic accident on the Bolga – Bawku road and the medical evacuation of officer cadets who were involved in a road traffic accident in the Volta Region.
After the evacuation, investigations are conducted to among other things determine the circumstances that led to the accident with the view of putting measures in place to if possible avoid or minimize the occurrence of similar incidents.
In the instant case of this Airman, it is stressed that investigations are being instituted to unravel the full circumstances surrounding the sad incident.
It is therefore inaccurate and malicious for anyone to insinuate that the body of the late LAC Vondee Atsu has been detained till it serves a sentence passed by a court-martial.
At this moment of national grief, we expect the public to mourn and sympathize with the bereaved families and also respect their sensibilities instead of exacerbating their pain with such a fabricated story.
The Military High Command takes this opportunity to extend their condolences to the bereaved families while wishing the injured a speedy recovery.
Director Public Relations
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Killing of football bribes investigator a dent on Ghana's democracy -GII
- Nigeria most dangerous country for Christians in West Africa - Report
- Newspaper headlines: Friday, January 18, 2019
- Building cathedral but removing RME from syllabus is hypocrisy – Educationist
- Pennsylvania police seek volunteers to get drunk for training exercise
- Wave of killings 'threaten right to life, liberty of Ghanaians' -- Amnesty Int'l
- The world's secret club of explorers
- Limiting killing to Kennedy Agyapong is letting killers loose - Security Analyst
- Undercover investigator killing: Homicide Unit takes over probe
- Killing of undercover investigator: President expects justice ‘as soon as possible’
- Kennedy Agyapong calls for Anas arrest over Ahmed murder
- Yendi gets $30m water supply project after peaceful chieftancy process
- Family of killed undercover investigator demand justice
- We are devastated by Hussein-Suale dastardly killing - Tiger Eye PI
- Your security is in your hands - Former CID Director cautions