Six passengers are feared dead with scores injured after a Sprinter bus lost control and crashed into a concrete at Taifa Junction in Accra, Tuesday.
Some passengers were reportedly trapped in the bus for a while but personnel from the Ghana Fire Service and Police Motor and Traffic Department (MTTD) arrived promptly at the scene and cut through the mangled vehicle to free them.
It is not yet clear what caused the Sprinter travelling to Accra from Ofankor to lose control, however, Myjoyonline.com's Jerry Tsatro-Mordy, who had been at the scene of the accident suspects the 23-seater vehicle may have burst a tyre.
- Emergency service workers struggled to free trapped passengers, reports indicate. Deceased passengers have been censored.
The deceased have been conveyed to the mortuary, police confirm.
Meanwhile, Adom News' Joshua Kulenu reported that the driver of the Sprinter bus sustained a severe head injury and an ambulance was at the scene to convey the injured to the hospital.
"A passenger who spoke to Kulenu said the driver was on the phone when the incident occurred," according to a different account of the incident published on Adomonline.com
Reports indicate that there is chaos on the road close to Taifa Junction on the Ofankor-Achimota stretch.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- GPHA offers ¢50,000 bounty for killers of PR Manager
- Killing of football bribes investigator a dent on Ghana's democracy -GII
- Nigeria most dangerous country for Christians in West Africa - Report
- Newspaper headlines: Friday, January 18, 2019
- Building cathedral but removing RME from syllabus is hypocrisy – Educationist
- Pennsylvania police seek volunteers to get drunk for training exercise
- Wave of killings 'threaten right to life, liberty of Ghanaians' -- Amnesty Int'l
- The world's secret club of explorers
- Limiting killing to Kennedy Agyapong is letting killers loose - Security Analyst
- Undercover investigator killing: Homicide Unit takes over probe
- Killing of undercover investigator: President expects justice ‘as soon as possible’
- Kennedy Agyapong calls for Anas arrest over Ahmed murder
- Yendi gets $30m water supply project after peaceful chieftancy process
- Family of killed undercover investigator demand justice
- We are devastated by Hussein-Suale dastardly killing - Tiger Eye PI