Former President John Kufuor has criticized African leaders, most of whom he said are behaving as if they have no vision.
He does not understand why Africa should be wallowing and groping in poverty.
He blamed the situation squarely on the self-styled strong men of Africa who, right from the independence of individual countries, did not show any modicum of respect to the citizens.
“We are still wallowing and groping as if we don’t have a vision; we don’t just know what to do and why since independence many of us or for our countries have been reduced under people who styled themselves, strong men who really did not respect the dignities of Africans,” he said.
The ex-president made the comment, Wednesday, during the launch of an ambitious 80 million cedi fundraising campaign to fund his Foundation’s activities.
The money will serve as an Endowment Fund to sustain Mr Kufuor’s vision.
The year-long fundraising programme is under the theme “80/80” which will coincide with the 80th birthday celebration of the ex-president.
A consummate politician, Mr Kufuor served as president from 2001-2008 and is credited with transforming Ghana from a developing economy to a middle-income status.
Mr Kufuor believes with the right leaders, Africa will go places.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Killing of football bribes investigator a dent on Ghana's democracy -GII
- Nigeria most dangerous country for Christians in West Africa - Report
- Newspaper headlines: Friday, January 18, 2019
- Building cathedral but removing RME from syllabus is hypocrisy – Educationist
- Pennsylvania police seek volunteers to get drunk for training exercise
- Wave of killings 'threaten right to life, liberty of Ghanaians' -- Amnesty Int'l
- The world's secret club of explorers
- Limiting killing to Kennedy Agyapong is letting killers loose - Security Analyst
- Undercover investigator killing: Homicide Unit takes over probe
- Killing of undercover investigator: President expects justice ‘as soon as possible’
- Kennedy Agyapong calls for Anas arrest over Ahmed murder
- Yendi gets $30m water supply project after peaceful chieftancy process
- Family of killed undercover investigator demand justice
- We are devastated by Hussein-Suale dastardly killing - Tiger Eye PI
- Your security is in your hands - Former CID Director cautions