Residents of the Zongo communities will experience developmental projects from the government’s Zongo Development Fund by the first quarter of 2018, the sector Minister has said.
Abubakar Boniface Saddique told Joy News, projects such as the building of football parks, will go a long way to alleviate some of the challenges in the Zongos.
“…in terms of social interventions, we plan on building of football parks and greening them, these will, in turn, serve as a multipurpose facility which can be used to host funerals and other functions and will, in turn, solve the problem of unnecessary roadblocks,” he said.
Mr. Saddique also says the Zongo and Inner Cities Development Ministry is set to build drainage systems that will help with the sanitation issues in the Zongos.
A Zongo Community
3000 Arabic teachers will also be recruited under an agreement with the Youth Employment Agency (YEA) he stated.
“...I hope to sign the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the YEA so they can get the funding to recruit the Arabic instructors because the government plans on making the language an examinable subject in our schools,” Mr. Saddique stated.
He also promised that the Ministry plans to equip the Zongo women with entrepreneurial skills through skills, technical and vocational training.
“I can assure you that hopefully, by the first quarter some of these things I mentioned will be rolled out; you will see it live,” he told Joy News’ Sheila Tamakloe.
The Zongo and Inner Cities Development Ministry was set up by the Akufo-Addo-led government in a bid to bridge the developmental gap between the Zongos and other sectors of the society.
The bill had initially been marred with some challenges when it was introduced into Parliament in 2017 causing it to be withdrawn.
It was later reintroduced and passed. President Akufo-Addo gave his assent to the Bill last week.
The New Patriotic Party (NPP) had touted the Zongo Development plan during the campaign period among its numerous promises.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Building cathedral but removing RME from syllabus is hypocrisy – Educationist
- Pennsylvania police seek volunteers to get drunk for training exercise
- Wave of killings 'threaten right to life, liberty of Ghanaians' -- Amnesty Int'l
- The world's secret club of explorers
- Limiting killing to Kennedy Agyapong is letting killers loose - Security Analyst
- Undercover investigator killing: Homicide Unit takes over probe
- Killing of undercover investigator: President expects justice ‘as soon as possible’
- Kennedy Agyapong calls for Anas arrest over Ahmed murder
- Yendi gets $30m water supply project after peaceful chieftancy process
- Family of killed undercover investigator demand justice
- We are devastated by Hussein-Suale dastardly killing - Tiger Eye PI
- Your security is in your hands - Former CID Director cautions
- Social media reaction to killing of undercover investigator
- Anas’ partner killing: Kennedy Agyapong has questions to answer – Lawyer
- Nomadic herdsmen invade Sekyere Central; officials to use diplomatic approach