In a few hours the President Nana Akufo-Addo will lead his predecessors and leaders of the country’s political parties at a thanksgiving service to mark the Silver Jubilee of the Fourth Republic.
The service to be held at the Independence Square in Accra is under the theme “Celebrating the goodness of the Lord.”
The celebration is to mark the country’s stable democracy over the past two decades.
From 1992, Ghana has enjoyed a stable democracy which has seen at least two of the country’s biggest political parties- the New Patriotic Party and the National Democratic Congress taking turns to govern the country after winning elections.
But the situation was not the same shortly after independence.
Ghana’s first president Dr Kwame Nkrumah who led the CPP government after independence was overthrown in 1966, after just six years in power.
Dr Kwame Nkrumah
That marked the end of the first republic.
The second Republic led by Dr KA Busia was also overthrown in 1972 after winning the 1969 election which ushered in the second republic.
The PNP’s Dr Hilla Limann also won power in 1979 only to be overthrown in 1981.
After eleven long years of military rule the country eventually transitioned into a democratic regime with Mr Jerry John Rawlings winning the 1992 elections.
The fourth democracy has endured for 25 years with political pundits hoping it will remain forever.
After consulting with political parties, the president decided to commemorate the silver jubilee anniversary with a thanksgiving service.
Information Minister Mustapha Hamid told JOYNEWS the ceremony is expected to be attended by former Presidents Rawlings, Kufuor and Mahama.
“…If we have tried the fourth republic that has endured 25 years, it is something that we need to come together as a nation and hold hands and thank God that we are one nation, one people with one destiny and make a resolution that we will let this Republic endure even another 25 years and beyond,” he said.
Joy News’ Komla Adom who is at the Independence Square said the organisers are getting ready for what will be a big event.
He said the thanksgiving service will begin at 4:00pm and close at 7:00pm.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Building cathedral but removing RME from syllabus is hypocrisy – Educationist
- Pennsylvania police seek volunteers to get drunk for training exercise
- Wave of killings 'threaten right to life, liberty of Ghanaians' -- Amnesty Int'l
- The world's secret club of explorers
- Limiting killing to Kennedy Agyapong is letting killers loose - Security Analyst
- Undercover investigator killing: Homicide Unit takes over probe
- Killing of undercover investigator: President expects justice ‘as soon as possible’
- Kennedy Agyapong calls for Anas arrest over Ahmed murder
- Yendi gets $30m water supply project after peaceful chieftancy process
- Family of killed undercover investigator demand justice
- We are devastated by Hussein-Suale dastardly killing - Tiger Eye PI
- Your security is in your hands - Former CID Director cautions
- Social media reaction to killing of undercover investigator
- Anas’ partner killing: Kennedy Agyapong has questions to answer – Lawyer
- Nomadic herdsmen invade Sekyere Central; officials to use diplomatic approach