Ghana Journalists Association (GJA) Photojournalist of the year, David Andoh who works with Myjoyonline.com has been attacked by a policeman Tuesday morning.
Mr. Andoh was at an Accra High court to cover the story of the officials of the National Communications Authority (NCA) who were standing trial for allegedly embezzling public funds.
He was taking shots of some newsworthy incidents outside the courtroom when the policeman accosted him.
“I have been attacked by a policeman. He saw me taking some shots and he violently struggled with me in order to smash my camera on the court premises here.
"There was some sought of altercation at the scene and he [policeman] violently rushed on some other media personnel, when he saw I had my camera focused toward his direction, he turned his vicious venom on me and ordered I surrender my camera which I declined", he narrated.
According to him, the policeman proceeded to squeeze his hand and demanded the release of the camera, something he was not ready to do.
After few minutes of the scuffle, the policeman gave up to avoid further embarrassment.
Even though he did not suffer any injuries, Mr Andoh said he was deeply concerned about the attack on him.
“I am safe but the camera went off for some time”, he added.
The attack on Mr Andoh, is the latest of the numerous unwarranted attacks on journalists in their line of duty.
In September in 2017, Joy News reporter Joseph Ackah Blay and his team were manhandled by some National Democratic Congress (NDC) party supporters at NDC Regional office in Accra.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Building cathedral but removing RME from syllabus is hypocrisy – Educationist
- Pennsylvania police seek volunteers to get drunk for training exercise
- Wave of killings 'threaten right to life, liberty of Ghanaians' -- Amnesty Int'l
- The world's secret club of explorers
- Limiting killing to Kennedy Agyapong is letting killers loose - Security Analyst
- Undercover investigator killing: Homicide Unit takes over probe
- Killing of undercover investigator: President expects justice ‘as soon as possible’
- Kennedy Agyapong calls for Anas arrest over Ahmed murder
- Yendi gets $30m water supply project after peaceful chieftancy process
- Family of killed undercover investigator demand justice
- We are devastated by Hussein-Suale dastardly killing - Tiger Eye PI
- Your security is in your hands - Former CID Director cautions
- Social media reaction to killing of undercover investigator
- Anas’ partner killing: Kennedy Agyapong has questions to answer – Lawyer
- Nomadic herdsmen invade Sekyere Central; officials to use diplomatic approach