A former Mathematics and Ga teacher at the Korle Gonno '3' Junior High School at Mamprobi in Accra, has made an emotional plea to students to reach out to their teachers after school.
Visibly drawn to tears after he was honoured by some of his former pupils nearly 17 years after graduating, George Mensah has implored past students to show appreciation to their teachers.
He said the gesture will help to remind teachers about their special role and place in the world.
Mr Mensah was honoured with an emotionally-packed citation, an undisclosed sum and a hamper by the 2001 Graduating Class of the school at a private ceremony held at his residence in December last year.
Leading the former pupils, Africa World Airlines Limited (AWA) Human Resources Manager, Jonathan Appiah said the belief that the “reward of teachers is in heaven” deserved a place in the dustbin.
He would rather have the teachers appreciated here on earth to bolster their confidence and encourage the youth to aspire to be like them.
“We all need to encourage the very people who encouraged us during our formative days and you don’t need a house to touch somebody,” Mr Appiah told Myjoyonline.com in an interview.
Wearing a violet with white striped jersey and wine shorts, Mr Mensah beamed at his former pupils with undisguised admiration during the presentation of the items.
The well-designed citation with words carefully chosen by a past pupil Dennis Abbew Mends, now a Senior Business Development Executive with CorpTrain Ghana, occasionally unbalanced the teacher during the reading.
Mr Mensah thanked the KG '3' 2001 Graduating Class for the honour, charging other year groups to emulate that.
He said students will be better taught and morale in the classroom will be high if teachers are appreciated by past students, parents of students and government.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Building cathedral but removing RME from syllabus is hypocrisy – Educationist
- Pennsylvania police seek volunteers to get drunk for training exercise
- Wave of killings 'threaten right to life, liberty of Ghanaians' -- Amnesty Int'l
- The world's secret club of explorers
- Limiting killing to Kennedy Agyapong is letting killers loose - Security Analyst
- Undercover investigator killing: Homicide Unit takes over probe
- Killing of undercover investigator: President expects justice ‘as soon as possible’
- Kennedy Agyapong calls for Anas arrest over Ahmed murder
- Yendi gets $30m water supply project after peaceful chieftancy process
- Family of killed undercover investigator demand justice
- We are devastated by Hussein-Suale dastardly killing - Tiger Eye PI
- Your security is in your hands - Former CID Director cautions
- Social media reaction to killing of undercover investigator
- Anas’ partner killing: Kennedy Agyapong has questions to answer – Lawyer
- Nomadic herdsmen invade Sekyere Central; officials to use diplomatic approach