Seven suspected armed robbers were on Tuesday afternoon gunned down by a team of personnel from the Ashanti Regional Police SWAT Unit at Poano near Anhwiakwanta on the Kumasi-Obuasi road.
The gun-wielding robbers, believed to belong to a gang who killed the late Lance Corporal Daniel Tieku of the SWAT Unit, last week (June 11, 2018), in one of their operations, were said to have attempted to open fire on the police as they approached them.
However, they were outsmarted and the well-armed police, who had mounted surveillance on the robbers, shot and killed them in the process.
The blood-soaked bodies of the deceased have been sent to the morgue for autopsy.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCOP), Akwasi Mensah Duku, the Regional Police Commander, confirmed the incident to the media, saying, the issue was under investigations.
Two pump action guns and an AK 47 assault rifle, as well as a helmet, and other offensive weapons said to have been used by the gang had been retrieved from the crime scene, and currently, in the custody of the police.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Akufo-Addo’s directive on party militia commendable – NCCE
- New education curricula didn’t have our input - NAGRAT
- Ghana's Martha Pobee to review UN resource mobilisation policy
- Making Accra cleanest city in Africa by 2020: Akufo-Addo making progress?
- Obuasi alive with clients exhibition, trade show
- SONA 2019: Toilets provision evidence of $1m for each constituency pledge
- Photo of the week: The Rawlings-Akufo-Addo bromance continues
- Gov't announces plans to avert perennial Bagre Dam spillage
- GES to introduce new curricula for next academic year
- SONA 2019: Akufo-Addo breaks silence over Menzgold saga
- SONA 2019: Akufo-Addo announces new curriculum for KG to P6
- SONA 2019: 62nd Independence Day celebrations to be held in Tamale
- SONA 2019: I'm mindful of next generation not next election – Akufo-Addo
- Aggrieved customers of Gold Coast Fund Management threaten demo
- Newspaper headlines: Thursday, February 21, 2019