President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has expressed unhappiness with Wa Polytechnic for the delay to change the institution’s name to Hilla Limann Polytechnic several months after the announcement was made.
President Akufo-Addo in January 2018 renamed the Polytechnic to Hilla Limann Polytechnic following a recommendation by the governing Council of the Polytechnic who unanimously proposed to the Minister for Education that the institution be renamed after the former President.
The move was meant to keep the memory of the late Ghana’s former President alive, but authorities of the Polytechnic are yet to effect the change and this the President witnessed as part of this tour of the region.
The President visited the Polytechnic on Tuesday to commission an Amatrol Teaching and Learning Systems Laboratory.
On arrival on the campus, he was surprised to see the old name still boldly written at the school’s main entrance and on other directional sign posts.
President Akufo-Addo later held a meeting with members of the Upper West Regional House of Chiefs in Wa as part of his three-day tour of the Region.
It was there he said: “Some time ago, the Governing Council of the Polytechnic came to me to tell me that they want to rename the Polytechnic after Dr Hilla Limann and I agreed and made the announcement publicly, “So it is not my decision”.
He appealed to the chiefs to impress upon the Polytechnic officials to effect the change to make it Hilla Limann Polytechnic while they work towards converting it to Hilla Limann Technical University.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Disclaimer: Unauthorized representatives of Multimedia Group Limited
- Ketu North District presents startup kits for disabled
- Jonmoore International Limited partners with UK dental specialists
- Time With Dentsu Aegis Network thought leaders
- Asanko Mining promotes literacy through reading, comprehension competition
- ‘Accra to be cleanest in Africa’: CONIWAS criticises Minister for extending timeline
- From the newsstands today: Thursday, April 25, 2019
- ‘Teachers need retraining to promote quality education’
- At this German housing complex rent hasn’t gone up in 500 years
- Top 5 experiences to try while In Africa
- Photos: UN peacekeepers mourn late Ghanaian Head, Maj. Gen. Vib-Sanziri
- Akufo-Addo, Graca Marchel to grace summit on global peace
- Missing Takoradi girls not found – Police deny media reports
- Your victory in life began on the cross of Christ's death – Aps. Mike Etrue
- Massive decongestion exercise looms in Madina