The policeman who was captured on camera beating a woman has pleaded not guilty to assault charge.
Lance Corporal Frederick Amanor was arraigned before an Accra Circuit Court Thursday morning, a week after the alleged assault incident.
A video of the policeman in an altercation with the woman, Patience Osafo, 36 at the Shiashie branch of Midland Savings and Loans Limited, sent outrage across social and mainstream media.
In the video the policeman is seen using an umbrella to hit the woman, who is carrying a baby, and then he hits her with his hand and drags her on the floor all the while the she wails and cries.
Later, a man comes to take the baby from her and the policeman drags the woman out of the banking hall.
Initial reports were that Patience Osafo arrived in the banking hall few minutes after closing hours and was asked to leave but she declined. The policeman was then asked to send her out.
But in contrast to that, she told the media and the police in her complaint that she went to the savings and loans company on several occasions to withdraw her GHS 250.00 that she had with them but they gave the excuse of network problems.
On Thursday July 19, 2018 however, Patience Osafo approached the banking officials after several hours of staying in the banking hall and the same network excuse was given.
She asked them to allow her withdraw just GHS 105.00 to pay her debtors and get some food for her grandchild but some of the banking officials asked the police officer to send her out.
Lance Corporal Frederick Amanor
Lance Corporal Frederick Amanor, otherwise known as Skalla then beat and dragged her on the floor in an attempt to send her out.
In his caution statement, Frederick Amanor admitted to the offence.
Related: Video: Protect citizens, don’t assault them– Akufo-Addo to police
A lot of citizens including President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has lauded attempts to bring the officer to book.
Judge Janet Harriet Akweley Quaye, has remanded him into police custody and the case has been adjourned to August 9, 2018.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Law enforcement won't stop frequent accidents - Police
- World Bank praises Free SHS, pledges support
- Ewutu Senya West MP donates school block, start-up cash to constituents
- ‘It won’t stop accidents' – Expert downplays NRSC push to be an Authority
- Takoradi: Missing one-year-old boy found
- From the newsstands: Tuesday, March 26, 2019
- General Legal Council blamed for Law School brouhaha
- Man spikes co-workers’ drinks with LSD because they had “negative energy”
- The secret to Danish happiness?
- University of Utah, USA to start MPH degree program in Ghana at Ensign College
- Intelligence reveals transmission line hacking sabotage – Energy Minister
- Transport Minister condemns indiscipline on roads, visits accident victims
- NSMQ: VASEC, Zion College win in Volta qualifiers
- Swedru Municipal guard, others in assault video remanded
- Twifo Herman: 21 Persons critically injured after heavy downpour