The policeman who was captured on camera beating a woman has pleaded not guilty to assault charge.
Lance Corporal Frederick Amanor was arraigned before an Accra Circuit Court Thursday morning, a week after the alleged assault incident.
A video of the policeman in an altercation with the woman, Patience Osafo, 36 at the Shiashie branch of Midland Savings and Loans Limited, sent outrage across social and mainstream media.
In the video the policeman is seen using an umbrella to hit the woman, who is carrying a baby, and then he hits her with his hand and drags her on the floor all the while the she wails and cries.
Later, a man comes to take the baby from her and the policeman drags the woman out of the banking hall.
Initial reports were that Patience Osafo arrived in the banking hall few minutes after closing hours and was asked to leave but she declined. The policeman was then asked to send her out.
But in contrast to that, she told the media and the police in her complaint that she went to the savings and loans company on several occasions to withdraw her GHS 250.00 that she had with them but they gave the excuse of network problems.
On Thursday July 19, 2018 however, Patience Osafo approached the banking officials after several hours of staying in the banking hall and the same network excuse was given.
She asked them to allow her withdraw just GHS 105.00 to pay her debtors and get some food for her grandchild but some of the banking officials asked the police officer to send her out.
Lance Corporal Frederick Amanor
Lance Corporal Frederick Amanor, otherwise known as Skalla then beat and dragged her on the floor in an attempt to send her out.
In his caution statement, Frederick Amanor admitted to the offence.
Related: Video: Protect citizens, don’t assault them– Akufo-Addo to police
A lot of citizens including President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has lauded attempts to bring the officer to book.
Judge Janet Harriet Akweley Quaye, has remanded him into police custody and the case has been adjourned to August 9, 2018.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Controversy-plagued UEW halts 2019 graduation
- Wa regional hospital boss sacked
- Name those you accuse – Dr. Akwetey tells 'undermined' Special Prosecutor
- Tiger fleeing floodwaters breaks into home, relaxes in bed
- Residents chase out police for bringing back alleged witches
- Video: Baako explains why police disobeyed court order on Afoko bail
- Lordina Mahama bags Master of Laws degree in UK
- Desperate pet owner offers his home to whoever finds his lost dog
- Ban on hunting , capturing of wild animals begins August 1
- Sandwinners destroying water source for Asutsuare residents
- Methodist Church Ghana won't support same-sex marriage
- Gov't to establish permanent body to protect, ensure media freedom
- Advocacy group applauds NaCCA boss
- Germany, Norway support KAIPTC’s maiden Kofi Annan Peace and Security Forum
- Gov't reiterates commitment to protecting journalists