The newly crowned National Science and Maths Quiz (NSMQ) champions of St Peter’s Senior High School (SHS) have expressed their joy at winning the ultimate trophy.
Kissi Annoh Kwaku and Fenny Benjamin said they feel self-actualised after coming against all odds to lead their school to a third victory in the 25-year-old competition.
“It feels very great and exciting to be in that position [champions] because it’s not been easy and it is a dream come true. We know that with hard work and determination, we have been able to get this far so…we are self-actualised right now,” Benjamin said.
He added that they feel so gratified to have made their school proud and they are hoping to reach greater heights.
Speaking to Kojo Yankson on the AM Show on the Joy News channel Friday, the other contestant, Kissi Annoh Kwaku recounted how they were both chosen to represent the school in the competition.
“We were taken through several tests and a number of students were selected from the different science classes. After that we went through series of tests again and 10 students were chosen and the two of us were selected,” he noted.
Responding to what motivated them to put themselves out Kwaku said that it was innate so they only had to push harder and make it.
“We had it in us to win,” he said.
St Peter’s beat Adenta-based West Africa SHS and Cape Coast giants and four time consecutive finalists Adisadel College in Thursday’s Grand Finale of the NSMQ to lift the envious trophy.
They had trailed Adisadel College throughout the contest but after Adisco got three consecutive questions wrong in the fourth round, both West Africa SHS and St Peter’s battled for the spoils.
St Peter’s answered two of the riddles in the fifth and final round to dump WASS who answered only one and Adisadel picked the last riddle to console themselves.
The winning team from St Peter’s will be following up to visit the President Akufo-Addo at the Jubilee House to present the trophy to him.
The President in 2017 hosted the winning team from Prempeh College and on Thursday before the Grand Finale sent an invitation to whichever school emerged victorious.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- New Anloga District inaugurated despite heavy downpour
- Police chief rejects subordinate's sidelining claims in bloody by-election
- SHS student in court over ¢5 robbery at knifepoint
- Yara Ghana opens new fertiliser terminal and blending facility
- There was no election taskforce for bloody by-election - Police Commander
- Menzgold demo as clients hope against all hope to retrieve investments
- 32 communities in Ofoase Ayirebi constituency get electricity
- Jumia rewards three lucky couples in its ‘Jumia Loves You’ Promo
- Newspaper headlines: Tuesday, February 18, 2019
- Ashanti Region: Queen mothers consider re-introducing puberty rites to fight teenage pregnancy
- Chief of Staff promises support for ‘special schools’
- Cape Coast: Basic school heads appeal for gov't assistance
- ‘We are not alone’ Police tweet video of strange light emerging from thunderstorm
- The mysterious town obsessed with ‘11’
- Police on manhunt for 4 NDC 'Hawks' over Kumasi shooting