The President, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has reinstated the Deputy Sports Minister, Pius Enam Hadzide and the Chairperson of the National Sports Authority Kwadwo Baah Agyeman.
The two were suspended over their alleged involvement in a visa scandal during the Commonwealth Games in April where some 60 persons were arrested for attempting to enter Australia – the games venue – with false identities.
At least 50 persons who claimed to be journalists and were in Australia to cover the Commonwealth games were arrested and repatriated for bearing false identities.
Reports suggest some officials from the National Sports Authority as well as the ministry facilitated the fraudulent visa acquisitions for them.
Kwadwo Baah Agyeman
Embarrassed by the development, President Akufo-Addo asked the officials to step aside and constituted investigations into the allegations.
But in a statement on Monday, the president said following the investigations, both Pius and Kwadwo Baah have been exonerated.
“The President of the Republic, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, has reinstated, with immediate effect, the Deputy Minister for Youth and Sports, Pius Enam Hadzide, and the Chairperson of the Board of the National Sports Authority, Kwadwo Baah Agyeman, following the completion of investigations into the "Australia Visa Scandal" by the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) of the Ghana Police Service.”
The statement signed by Communications Director at the Jubilee House said “report of the enquiry into the allegations, which was submitted to the President on Friday, 6th July, 2018, contained no adverse findings against them.”
Have your say
More News Headlines
- New Anloga District inaugurated despite heavy downpour
- Police chief rejects subordinate's sidelining claims in bloody by-election
- SHS student in court over ¢5 robbery at knifepoint
- Yara Ghana opens new fertiliser terminal and blending facility
- There was no election taskforce for bloody by-election - Police Commander
- Menzgold demo as clients hope against all hope to retrieve investments
- 32 communities in Ofoase Ayirebi constituency get electricity
- Jumia rewards three lucky couples in its ‘Jumia Loves You’ Promo
- Newspaper headlines: Tuesday, February 18, 2019
- Ashanti Region: Queen mothers consider re-introducing puberty rites to fight teenage pregnancy
- Chief of Staff promises support for ‘special schools’
- Cape Coast: Basic school heads appeal for gov't assistance
- ‘We are not alone’ Police tweet video of strange light emerging from thunderstorm
- The mysterious town obsessed with ‘11’
- Police on manhunt for 4 NDC 'Hawks' over Kumasi shooting