Is it a bird or a fish? This intriguing-looking creature has set the internet alight because it has the body of a fish and the head of a bird. The creature, dubbed ‘bird fish’, is a carp with a deformed head.
Some people on the internet say the fish’s head looks like a pigeon or a parrot while others argue it appears to be more like a dolphin.
It was reeled in by a number of anglers in Guizhou, south-west China, reported Guizhou Urban Newspaper.
Some say it resembles a parrot
Video footage shows it on the ground after being caught gasping for air. According to the report, it was released back into the waters. One Facebook user, called ‘Hong Fang’, questioned: ‘Is this a cross-breed of carp and dolphin?’
Another, ‘Duan Yiching’ said: ‘It looks like a radioactive fish to me.’
Yang Xing, an expert from the Guizhou Fisheries Research Institute, told Guizhou Urban Daily that a deformed head is not uncommon.
‘One possibility is that the embryo was damaged when it was growing; another possibility is that the lack of oxygen in water – due to over-crowded fishing farming – caused the fish’s head to be deformed.’
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Controversy-plagued UEW halts 2019 graduation
- Wa regional hospital boss sacked
- Name those you accuse – Dr. Akwetey tells 'undermined' Special Prosecutor
- Tiger fleeing floodwaters breaks into home, relaxes in bed
- Residents chase out police for bringing back alleged witches
- Video: Baako explains why police disobeyed court order on Afoko bail
- Lordina Mahama bags Master of Laws degree in UK
- Desperate pet owner offers his home to whoever finds his lost dog
- Ban on hunting , capturing of wild animals begins August 1
- Sandwinners destroying water source for Asutsuare residents
- Methodist Church Ghana won't support same-sex marriage
- Gov't to establish permanent body to protect, ensure media freedom
- Advocacy group applauds NaCCA boss
- Germany, Norway support KAIPTC’s maiden Kofi Annan Peace and Security Forum
- Gov't reiterates commitment to protecting journalists