An off-duty FBI agent who accidentally shot someone while doing a backflip has been charged with assault.
Chase Bishop, 29, was in a bar in Denver when he pulled some moves on the dance floor a little too enthusiastically.
His gun fell out of his waistband holder and onto the floor. When he went to grab it, the firearm went off and shot another customer leaving them with a serious but non-life-threatening gunshot wound to the lower leg.
Bishop turned himself in after the incident on June 2 and he has been charged with second-degree assault.
Additional charges could be filed based on the results of a blood-alcohol content test, which has not yet been received, authorities said.
‘We are filing this charge now rather than waiting until the BAC report is received, which we understand could take another week, because sufficient evidence has been presented to file it,’ Denver District Attorney Beth McCann said.
The FBI declined to comment ‘in order to preserve the integrity of the ongoing investigation,’ spokeswoman Amy Sanders said.
‘The FBI will continue to fully cooperate with the Denver Police Department and the Denver District Attorney’s Office as this matter proceeds through the judicial process,’ she said.
Booking documents do not indicate if Bishop has hired a lawyer.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- The world's secret club of explorers
- Limiting killing to Kennedy Agyapong is letting killers loose - Security Analyst
- Undercover investigator killing: Homicide Unit takes over probe
- Killing of undercover investigator: President expects justice ‘as soon as possible’
- Kennedy Agyapong calls for Anas arrest over Ahmed murder
- Yendi gets $30m water supply project after peaceful chieftancy process
- Family of killed undercover investigator demand justice
- We are devastated by Hussein-Suale dastardly killing - Tiger Eye PI
- Your security is in your hands - Former CID Director cautions
- Social media reaction to killing of undercover investigator
- Anas’ partner killing: Kennedy Agyapong has questions to answer – Lawyer
- Nomadic herdsmen invade Sekyere Central; officials to use diplomatic approach
- 53 soldiers sue Menzgold over GH¢2.5m locked up investment
- Newspaper headlines: Thursday, January 17, 2019
- Anas' key partner shot dead