An off-duty FBI agent who accidentally shot someone while doing a backflip has been charged with assault.
Chase Bishop, 29, was in a bar in Denver when he pulled some moves on the dance floor a little too enthusiastically.
His gun fell out of his waistband holder and onto the floor. When he went to grab it, the firearm went off and shot another customer leaving them with a serious but non-life-threatening gunshot wound to the lower leg.
Bishop turned himself in after the incident on June 2 and he has been charged with second-degree assault.
Additional charges could be filed based on the results of a blood-alcohol content test, which has not yet been received, authorities said.
‘We are filing this charge now rather than waiting until the BAC report is received, which we understand could take another week, because sufficient evidence has been presented to file it,’ Denver District Attorney Beth McCann said.
The FBI declined to comment ‘in order to preserve the integrity of the ongoing investigation,’ spokeswoman Amy Sanders said.
‘The FBI will continue to fully cooperate with the Denver Police Department and the Denver District Attorney’s Office as this matter proceeds through the judicial process,’ she said.
Booking documents do not indicate if Bishop has hired a lawyer.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Church bans 'backpacks' over recent terror threat
- Imported arms controversy: ‘Weapons pose security threat’ – Abotsi
- Climate change lessons included in new basic school curriculum
- We have employed 350,000 public sector workers - Veep
- 2 siblings washed away while playing in the rain
- Man charged with reckless driving wants to go to jail than home to wife
- Google launches one-stop shop for flights, hotels
- Baako wants CID boss changed
- 2 Suspected robbers killed in shoot-out with police at Kasoa
- NIA shuts down online portal for Ghana Card registration
- 5 years on; Rawlings, other NDC stalwarts remember PV Obeng
- Abuakwa South MCE urges youth to desist from using illicit drugs
- Who will be Ghana’s next possible IGP? Find out here
- Chinese man gets ten days in jail for giving his dogs “illegal” names
- Geddit Ghana announces winner of maiden promotion