The Operation Vanguard team on Tuesday arrested 11 illegal miners at Ayanfuri and Bawdie along the Tarkwa-Ayanfuri road of the Western Region.
The arrested persons included Michael Tetteh, Abudu Razak, Albert Asamoah, Akwesi Buklow and Akose Iddrisu (Wassa Akropong District Police Station).
The rest included; Hassan Sina, Samed Moro, Moro Jakalel, Abdul Seidu, Janet Danso and Veronica Mensa-both female (Ayanfuri Police Station).
The Task Force, led by Colonel Michael Amoah-Ayisi, immobilised 158 floating machines known locally as ‘changfans’, 15 water pumping machines, a Kia Taxi with registration number AS 226-16, motorbikes and other mining equipment.
The Team also seized a substance believed to be mercury as exhibits for prosecution.
The arrested persons and items seized were handed over to the Ayanfuri and Wassa Akropong Police Stations for further investigation.
The areas hit included Ayanfuri, Gyapa, Dompoase, Nkonya, Wassa Akropong, Bawdie, Epom, Ataase, Mampong and other towns and villages.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Newspaper headlines: Wednesday, January 23, 2019
- NAM1 reportedly directs gov’t to supervise sale of his assets
- Kidnapped girls: Police criticised for poor handling of case
- Gov't allocates GH¢800m extra to support police
- Manual for School Management Committees in the offing
- Women twerk atop moving vehicle on highway
- 6 of the world’s best wildlife’s experiences
- National Biosafety Authority allays fears of parliament over 'illegal GMOs'
- Kidnapped girls: Police ‘give up’ on suspect as ‘he has refused to talk’
- Accra to have area-wide traffic signal control centre by June
- A Rocha Ghana to open first Atewa Forest exhibition
- Gov't to launch new national tolling policy
- Woman takes clothes off in front of bank manager in attempt to secure a loan
- Video/Photos: This alleged ‘mad man’ torched 5 vehicles at mechanic shop
- HR Focus holds career clinic