A male student of Mankessim Senior High school (SHS), in the Central Region, had his shorts ripped up and stripped off in the open by some teachers because it was not a prescribed uniform of the school.
The teachers' action reportedly followed the refusal of the 17-year-old Entertainment Prefect, to change the unprescribed attire he had worn to an entertainment activity in the school, Joy News correspondent Richard Kwadwo Nyarko reported Friday.
The brutish act by teachers in the glare of some students was recorded on a mobile device by an unknown person and shared on social media platforms.
In the 35-seconds video, a man said to be one of the teachers, could be seen head-butting the young boy for resisting attempts to have his shorts forcefully removed. Another teacher was seen requesting for a pair of scissors to rip the shorts apart.
The case has caught the attention of the Director-General of Ghana Education Service, Prof. Kwesi Opoku Amankwaah, who has surmoned Head teacher of the School to Accra for questioning.
Municipal Education Director, Municipal Director Education, Martha Acquah, told the Joy News reporter that the act constitutes an abuse. A disciplinary committee is investigatigating the case, she added.
Madam Acquah said although they have started an investigation, they are yet to the student to get his side of the story because the school is on midterm break.
However, the father of the boy, John Mensah, who is also a teacher in Kumasi in the Ashanti Region said, his colleagues have embarrassed and abused his son.
An unhappy Mr Mensah told the reporter that his son got injured in the process and criticised the manner they went about disciplining his son.
He said the teachers could have used laid down procedures to discipline the student instead of resorting to such an inhuman act.
The aggrieved father has, therefore, petitioned the Ministry of Gender and Social Protection Minister, Otiko Afisah Djaba, to seek justice for his son.
Watch the video:
Have your say
More News Headlines
- The world's secret club of explorers
- Limiting killing to Kennedy Agyapong is letting killers loose - Security Analyst
- Undercover investigator killing: Homicide Unit takes over probe
- Killing of undercover investigator: President expects justice ‘as soon as possible’
- Kennedy Agyapong calls for Anas arrest over Ahmed murder
- Yendi gets $30m water supply project after peaceful chieftancy process
- Family of killed undercover investigator demand justice
- We are devastated by Hussein-Suale dastardly killing - Tiger Eye PI
- Your security is in your hands - Former CID Director cautions
- Social media reaction to killing of undercover investigator
- Anas’ partner killing: Kennedy Agyapong has questions to answer – Lawyer
- Nomadic herdsmen invade Sekyere Central; officials to use diplomatic approach
- 53 soldiers sue Menzgold over GH¢2.5m locked up investment
- Newspaper headlines: Thursday, January 17, 2019
- Anas' key partner shot dead