A male student of Mankessim Senior High school (SHS), in the Central Region, had his shorts ripped up and stripped off in the open by some teachers because it was not a prescribed uniform of the school.
The teachers' action reportedly followed the refusal of the 17-year-old Entertainment Prefect, to change the unprescribed attire he had worn to an entertainment activity in the school, Joy News correspondent Richard Kwadwo Nyarko reported Friday.
The brutish act by teachers in the glare of some students was recorded on a mobile device by an unknown person and shared on social media platforms.
In the 35-seconds video, a man said to be one of the teachers, could be seen head-butting the young boy for resisting attempts to have his shorts forcefully removed. Another teacher was seen requesting for a pair of scissors to rip the shorts apart.
The case has caught the attention of the Director-General of Ghana Education Service, Prof. Kwesi Opoku Amankwaah, who has surmoned Head teacher of the School to Accra for questioning.
Municipal Education Director, Municipal Director Education, Martha Acquah, told the Joy News reporter that the act constitutes an abuse. A disciplinary committee is investigatigating the case, she added.
Madam Acquah said although they have started an investigation, they are yet to the student to get his side of the story because the school is on midterm break.
However, the father of the boy, John Mensah, who is also a teacher in Kumasi in the Ashanti Region said, his colleagues have embarrassed and abused his son.
An unhappy Mr Mensah told the reporter that his son got injured in the process and criticised the manner they went about disciplining his son.
He said the teachers could have used laid down procedures to discipline the student instead of resorting to such an inhuman act.
The aggrieved father has, therefore, petitioned the Ministry of Gender and Social Protection Minister, Otiko Afisah Djaba, to seek justice for his son.
Watch the video:
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Newspaper headlines: Friday, May 24, 2019
- IGP warns police officers against ‘brute acts of indiscipline’
- Mamfe township to welcome 2019 Robofest winners in grand style
- Catholic Church remains ‘alert to face security threat’ – Archbishop assures
- Two fallen Ghanaian peacekeepers to be awarded posthumously
- The most bizarre celebrity airport outfits
- The 10 countries everyone should visit
- Pursue development oriented CSR – GNPC Foundation boss to corporate bodies
- IGP commissions Tema Comm 25 police station
- Security guard jailed 6 months for causing harm
- US, Ghana gov’t collaborate to strengthen reading in basic school
- Global Agribusiness players advocate new model for dev't of African agriculture
- Joy News Special: Garbage in, garbage out
- Chereponi: Another person dead in latest clash
- MP faults PDS over bloody Odumase violence that killed boy