Two persons have been arrested by the Kumasi police in connection with the gruesome murder of a final year student of Osei Kyeretwie Senior High School, Wednesday night.
The suspects, whose identities are yet to be established, are suspected to be part of a gang of armed men who attacked the school and reportedly stabbed 19-year-old Godfred Arthur, twice in the neck while he attempted to run away from the attackers.
The assailants were said to have invaded the school at about 10:00pm last night and attacked the students. It is unclear what the motive for the attack was.
JoyNews’ Mohammed Nurudeen reported that most final year students packed out after writing their final West Africa Secondary School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) paper Thursday morning, against the decision of school authorities.
Some parents, who have thronged the school in a bid to take their children home, say they have been prevented from entering the school campus.
I’m waiting for them to finish then I will take my child home; they are preventing us from entering the classrooms, a worried parent told JoyNews in Akan.
Another parent who spoke to Accra-based Citi FM said: “At about 12:00 am, he [student] called me and said thieves have come to the school and they have all come out of the school, but one of their colleagues has been stabbed to death. I told him I will come this morning to take him home, so that is why I am here. But authorities are saying that they can’t allow us to go in. I have seen my son, but will wait here till they allow me to take him home”.
Personnel from the Tafo-Pankrono Divisional Police Command have since been deployed to the school to begin investigations into the incident.
Meanwhile, Board Chairman of the school, Owusu Ansah is demanding an immediate solution to the issue of insecurity around the area where the school is located, in order to avert further deaths.
“The powers that be should take advantage of this thing even though it’s unfortunate, to put an end to that story because it’s long overdue. For more than 20 years we have been fighting this [crime] incident,” he told JoyNews.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- New book, “Made in Ghana” to be launched Friday
- Zimbabwean nabbed with 7kg cocaine
- “Russia’s most advanced robot” turns out to be man in robot suit
- Newspaper headlines: Thursday, December 13, 2018
- Finding natural riches in the world's driest desert
- Medical drones: Doctor rebukes govt’s “face-saving”, “propagandist” meeting with GMA
- MTN, Dext Technology support public schools with over 2,000 science sets
- Israel trains over 2000 Ghanaian professionals in MASHAV courses
- KNUST becomes first in West Africa to win 'Pan African Universities Debate' contest
- GII engages private sector on Business Integrity and corruption
- Delta sponsors 2018 Junior Achievement Company of the Year Competition
- I never welcomed drone health service - GMA General Secretary
- Retraction and apology to GMA General Secretary, Dep. Information minister
- Be wary of Ghana's security before passing RTI- Ex-Pres Kufuor
- Medical outreach to mark 10th anniversary of Buipewura Jinapor II