The Presiding member for Mion District Assembly in the Northern Region has asked the Roads Ministry to fix the roads in the area after a fatal road carnage Thursday night.
Yakubu Abubakari says the Yendi-Sang road needs to be reconstructed in order to avoid similar accidents which he says are becoming too repetitive.
“I will just make an appeal if there will be an assistance or support so that the potholes can be reworked on in order to prevent this kind of unfortunate deaths…it’s unfortunate for us,” he told Joy News’ Joseph Opoku Gakpo Friday.
Mr Abubakari blames the accidents on multiple potholes on the road saying that it causes drivers to switch lanes indiscriminately while driving.
“…you realize that there’s a sharp curve here and there are potholes all over the road so when you get here you would have to switch lanes and that may have contributed to the accident,” he said.
He added that a downpour on Thursday evening may have contributed to the accident which claimed 10 lives and injured seven others.
“It rained heavily Thursday evening. The accident involved a bus-truck and Benz bus. The bus was coming from Tamale, and the Benz bus was coming from Yendi; because of the rain, the visibility was not all that clear so the two ran into each other,” he told Accra based CITI FM.
“We had a whole lot of casualty. The two drivers and a number of passengers from both sides are dead. We have conveyed the injured to the Yendi hospital and for the dead, we are taking them to Yendi mortuary,” he added.
Mr Abubakari told Joy News that early 2018 a similar accident occurred involving a car which veered off the road and exploded.
“It burnt totally here,” he emphasized.
He is also worried about the absence of warning signs on the curvy stretch where the accident happened.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Chinery-Hesse outdoored as C'wealth Business and Tech African Chair
- Support passage, enforce vigilante law – Akufo-Addo tells Police
- Driver, mate subjected to physical abuse in police custody - Lawyer
- COP Kaneshie Area Apostolisation: A transformed church, the world's only hope -Aps Etrue
- COP Kaneshie Area Apostolisation: The Holy Spirit is your life's utility player -Aps Miah
- Black Friday! Close to 90 perish in 2 separate accidents
- Ministers’ discretion rights undermine corruption fight’
- Eight ways to save water
- South Dayi MP pushes for highway rest stop, cultural village at Peki
- Kintampo-Techiman road crash: 53 survived Friday fatality - Police
- Climate Week: Youth Groups across Africa march to demand immediate action
- 2 Dismissed Fire Service officers reinstated
- Nigeria, a sleeping tourism giant that needs awakening
- Anas frustrated by Police apathy in Hussein-Suale's murder probe
- Police request Parliament to release Ken Agyapong over assault complaint