The buildup of filth continues to increase in Ghana, and in its capital, Accra, it is becoming iconic. Notable areas with this problem include Mamobi, Agbogbloshi, Nima and the Central Business District.
Plastic waste contributes to about 90 percent of this problem, and many have called for plastic to be banned in a bid to quell the problem. Musician Wanlov Kuborlor, has started a campaign to get this done.
But deep in the heart of the city, a group of youngsters are creating works of art from plastic, a wonderful way to avoid joining the Unemployed Graduates Association.
The leader of Mckingtorch Creations, Makafui Awuku says their startup has found a creative way of making something from plastic waste and keeping their hands busy.
He explains that they can transform plastic waste to basically "anything."
“In December , we created a Christmas tree with 396 [plastic] bottles and made Christmas happen for the people of Madina,” Mr Awuku told Daniel Dadzie on Joy FM’s flagship Super Morning Show Monday.
“About 600,000 people passed by it,” he added.
He also argued that for Ghana to efficiently battle filth, the government must play its supervisory role to the maximum.
Mr Awuku explains that people will not naturally do the right thing unless they are forced.
“Self-control is overrated,” he said.
He explained to Daniel that through government agencies like the police, proper sanitation laws must be fully enforced.
Listen to him speak on the #JoySMS.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Woman assaulted at Midland Savings petitions AG over dismissal of her case
- Chinese Police use alleged criminal’s childhood photo for wanted poster
- Black Friday: Randy Abbey’s critical questions to gov’t on road accidents
- Gov't taking firm steps to clear arrears owed caterers - Minister
- This is the world's busiest airport
- NDC mourns Black Friday road carnage victims
- Minority wants Roads, Transport and Interior ministers summoned over road carnage
- Chinery-Hesse outdoored as C'wealth Business and Tech African Chair
- Support passage, enforce vigilante law – Akufo-Addo tells Police
- Driver, mate subjected to physical abuse in police custody - Lawyer
- COP Kaneshie Area Apostolisation: A transformed church, the world's only hope -Aps Etrue
- COP Kaneshie Area Apostolisation: The Holy Spirit is your life's utility player -Aps Miah
- Black Friday! Close to 90 perish in 2 separate accidents
- Ministers’ discretion rights undermine corruption fight’
- Eight ways to save water