The buildup of filth continues to increase in Ghana, and in its capital, Accra, it is becoming iconic. Notable areas with this problem include Mamobi, Agbogbloshi, Nima and the Central Business District.
Plastic waste contributes to about 90 percent of this problem, and many have called for plastic to be banned in a bid to quell the problem. Musician Wanlov Kuborlor, has started a campaign to get this done.
But deep in the heart of the city, a group of youngsters are creating works of art from plastic, a wonderful way to avoid joining the Unemployed Graduates Association.
The leader of Mckingtorch Creations, Makafui Awuku says their startup has found a creative way of making something from plastic waste and keeping their hands busy.
He explains that they can transform plastic waste to basically "anything."
“In December , we created a Christmas tree with 396 [plastic] bottles and made Christmas happen for the people of Madina,” Mr Awuku told Daniel Dadzie on Joy FM’s flagship Super Morning Show Monday.
“About 600,000 people passed by it,” he added.
He also argued that for Ghana to efficiently battle filth, the government must play its supervisory role to the maximum.
Mr Awuku explains that people will not naturally do the right thing unless they are forced.
“Self-control is overrated,” he said.
He explained to Daniel that through government agencies like the police, proper sanitation laws must be fully enforced.
Listen to him speak on the #JoySMS.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- New book, “Made in Ghana” to be launched Friday
- Zimbabwean nabbed with 7kg cocaine
- “Russia’s most advanced robot” turns out to be man in robot suit
- Newspaper headlines: Thursday, December 13, 2018
- Finding natural riches in the world's driest desert
- Medical drones: Doctor rebukes govt’s “face-saving”, “propagandist” meeting with GMA
- MTN, Dext Technology support public schools with over 2,000 science sets
- Israel trains over 2000 Ghanaian professionals in MASHAV courses
- KNUST becomes first in West Africa to win 'Pan African Universities Debate' contest
- GII engages private sector on Business Integrity and corruption
- Delta sponsors 2018 Junior Achievement Company of the Year Competition
- I never welcomed drone health service - GMA General Secretary
- Retraction and apology to GMA General Secretary, Dep. Information minister
- Be wary of Ghana's security before passing RTI- Ex-Pres Kufuor
- Medical outreach to mark 10th anniversary of Buipewura Jinapor II