The special team of police cum military personnel over the weekend arrested eight illegal miners including two teenagers, at Waasa Amenfi District of the Western Region.
The operation which was conducted along the Wassa Akropong, Gyapa, Dadieso on the Tarkwa - Bogoso-Ayanfuri stretch from Friday 18 to Saturday 19 May 2018, was led by the Commander of Operation Vanguard (OV), Col Michael Amoah Ayisi.
The team also confiscated over 85 ‘changfa’ machines and two excavators used by the illegal miners.
The suspects identified as Larry Takpo, 19, Daniel Lambo, 18, Mobeh Boah, 32 and Daniel Larry 30, all hail from Bolgatanga as well as 20-year-old Kampatib Joseph from Bunprugu in the Northern.
The patrol team seized one (1) CAT excavator with chassis number 8FK00707 at Gyapa and another CAT excavator with chassis number 6DR01955 at Dadieso and sent them to the Amenfi East District Assembly.
The suspects and mining equipment seized were handed over to the Wassa Akropong Police station for further investigation and possible prosecution.
Tarkwa-Ayanfuri has various illegal miners along the highway.
“The Task Force is sending a stern warning to all illegal to stop their act to afford the government the opportunity to sanitize the environment. OV [Operation Vanguard] will come after all illegal miners wherever they are, every corner,” Public Relations Officer of Operation Vanguard, Squadron Leader Robison Omane Agyei told Myjoyonline.com
Squadron Leader Robison Omane Agyei maintained the Operation Vanguard team will not lose focus in its determination to flush out illegal miners.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Newspaper headlines: Wednesday, January 23, 2019
- NAM1 reportedly directs gov’t to supervise sale of his assets
- Kidnapped girls: Police criticised for poor handling of case
- Gov't allocates GH¢800m extra to support police
- Manual for School Management Committees in the offing
- Women twerk atop moving vehicle on highway
- 6 of the world’s best wildlife’s experiences
- National Biosafety Authority allays fears of parliament over 'illegal GMOs'
- Kidnapped girls: Police ‘give up’ on suspect as ‘he has refused to talk’
- Accra to have area-wide traffic signal control centre by June
- A Rocha Ghana to open first Atewa Forest exhibition
- Gov't to launch new national tolling policy
- Woman takes clothes off in front of bank manager in attempt to secure a loan
- Video/Photos: This alleged ‘mad man’ torched 5 vehicles at mechanic shop
- HR Focus holds career clinic