A young university student who ate only instant noodles for three weeks straight in order to save money for Singles Day – China’s version of Black Friday – ended spending all of her savings on medical bills after her unusual diet made her sick.
Instant noodles are standard fare for many university students. They’re cheap, easy to cook and they fill your stomach, but they’re definitely not the most nutritious meal. One young woman recently learned the hard way that surviving on instant noodles alone is not the smartest thing you can do, even if it means saving some money in the short run.
Hong Jia first made news headlines in China at the start of November, when it was revealed that she had been eating only instant noodles since October 15, in order to save a bit of money for Singles Day, the largest online and offline shopping day in the world. In a viral Pear video, Jia said that she had managed to save 749 yuan ($108) by switching to the ultra cheap diet, money that she planned to spend on the November 11 shopping extravaganza.
Sadly, Hong Jia never got to buy all the discounted items she had her eyes on, as she spent Singles Day in the hospital. Chinese media recently reported that the university student who had stunned the internet with her frugality got sick right before the popular holiday, and ended up spending all the money she had saved on IV drips and medicine.
“I used most of my savings to get better,” Hong Jia told reporters. “The IV drips cost me more than 1,000 yuan ($144) and medicine cost more than 100 yuan.”
Although she didn’t go into details about her health problems, the young woman said that she experienced high fever which required hospitalization. Although the exact cause of the illness is unclear, Jia added that “eating only instant noodles could be a reason”.
Chinese social media users commented that Hong Jia’s money-saving diet was bound to backfire, and even her own mother showed little sympathy for her.
In a screengrabbed WeChat conversation, the woman wrote “Even I watched that viral video. You deserve it. Just drink more hot water.”
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Campus Christian Family launches 2019 Alumni Homecoming celebration
- Law enforcement alone won't stop frequent accidents - Police
- World Bank praises Free SHS, pledges support
- Ewutu Senya West MP donates school block, start-up cash to constituents
- ‘It won’t stop accidents' – Expert downplays NRSC push to be an Authority
- Takoradi: Missing one-year-old boy found
- From the newsstands: Tuesday, March 26, 2019
- General Legal Council blamed for Law School brouhaha
- Man spikes co-workers’ drinks with LSD because they had “negative energy”
- The secret to Danish happiness?
- University of Utah, USA to start MPH degree program in Ghana at Ensign College
- Intelligence reveals transmission line hacking sabotage – Energy Minister
- Transport Minister condemns indiscipline on roads, visits accident victims
- NSMQ: VASEC, Zion College win in Volta qualifiers
- Swedru Municipal guard, others in assault video remanded