The security official attached to former president John Mahama’s campaign team who slapped a Joy News journalist, has been identified and suspended, a member of the campaign team has revealed.
Nii Lantey Vanderpuye told the AM Show on the Joy News channel Thursday that, the fellow has been removed from the pack and also hinted that he will face legal action soon.
“The person who assaulted Kwesi Parker Wilson has been dealt with. He’s no more around the campaign…he has been suspended and the office is coordinating with the police very well on this issue…,” the legislator said.
Nii Lantey Vanderpuye
He added that “whenever they [police] are ready to take action, the person will be handed to them”.
The Odododiodoo MP further told host, Mamavi Owusu Aboagye that the Mahama campaign “would not support attacks on any journalists”.
The news is welcoming
Executive Director for the Media Foundation of West Africa (MFWA), Sulemana Braimah who spoke to the matter the AM Show noted that the interdiction of the assaulter was welcoming.
He, however, added that the team should fast-track their coordination with the police and ensure that justice is served.
“The police action is what we should all look forward to at the moment,” he stated.
Joy News reporter was left with a bruised and swollen face after a member of Mahama’s campaign team slapped him a few weeks ago.
The ex-President was on a campaign tour in the Greater Accra region had just finished campaigning at Pentecost University and decided to thank the university authorities.
When Parker attempted covering that, the security told him to stay back but the reporter tried explaining that he was with the former President all day and had covered every activity, the macho man took it as an affront to his authority.
“You are challenging my authority”, Parker reported the security man to have said.
Before he knew it, the slaps had already landed and he went blank.
The ex-President apologised to him and promised to find the fellow. The PRO of the campaign team, James Agyenim Boateng also issued a statement to that effect.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Imported arms controversy: ‘Weapons pose security threat’ – Abotsi
- Climate change lessons included in new basic school curriculum
- We have employed 350,000 public sector workers - Veep
- 2 siblings washed away while playing in the rain
- Man charged with reckless driving wants to go to jail than home to wife
- Google launches one-stop shop for flights, hotels
- Baako wants CID boss changed
- 2 Suspected robbers killed in shoot-out with police at Kasoa
- NIA shuts down online portal for Ghana Card registration
- 5 years on; Rawlings, other NDC stalwarts remember PV Obeng
- Abuakwa South MCE urges youth to desist from using illicit drugs
- Who will be Ghana’s next possible IGP? Find out here
- Chinese man gets ten days in jail for giving his dogs “illegal” names
- Geddit Ghana announces winner of maiden promotion
- Zion College, Anloga celebrates 82nd speech and prize giving day