Drama unfolded at the General Legal Council (GLC) premises Thursday, following a threat by Kennedy Agyapong to remove the mask of Anas Aremeyaw Anas while both parties left the GLC building.
The panel, obviously unhappy about the comment by the Assin Central Parliamentarian, told him that if he dares touch Anas or any of his team members’ mask, they would have him arrested and charged for assault.
Kennedy Agyapong left the GLC angry and complained to the panel that they did not show respect to him. Meanwhile, the MP has not publicly commented on the issue.
The panel is made up of distinguished Supreme Court Judges, Retired Supreme Court Judges as well as a senior member of the legal profession.
The GLC yesterday dismissed a complaint filed by the MP for Assin Central, against ace undercover investigative journalist Anas Aremeyaw Anas,
It declined jurisdiction in a complaint of professional misconduct brought against Anas on the grounds that Anas was not a lawyer at the time the alleged incident happened.
It further directed the MP to report Anas to the police if he felt Anas was corrupt.
According to the GLC, Anas was neither the police nor the Attorney-General to terminate a trial.
Recall that the MP, in July 2018, dragged the undercover journalist to the GLC, claiming that Anas misconducted himself professionally as a lawyer in a manner that bordered on “moral turpitude.”
The complaint letter dated July 5, 2018, and addressed to the Chairperson of the Disciplinary Committee of the General Legal Council, asked that disciplinary action be taken against Anas as a lawyer.
According to the MP, Anas and a Chief State Attorney, Ms Ellen Kwawukume, connived to cause a fraud case to be dismissed.
He alleged that Anas’ style of investigations, which he described as “entrapping people” should not be countenanced.
This is not the first time Anas has bloodied the MP. Anas, for his part, has dragged Mr Agyapong to court for defaming him and is asking the High Court to award aggravated damages to the tune of GH¢25 million arising from defamatory materials published by the MP.
A sports journalist, Listowell Yesu Bukarson, has been granted the lawful attorney to stand in for Anas.
In another breath, Ms. Kwawukume, who is currently on retirement, has also sued the MP for GH¢25 million for defamation
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Akufo-Addo’s directive on party militia commendable – NCCE
- New education curricula didn’t have our input - NAGRAT
- Ghana's Martha Pobee to review UN resource mobilisation policy
- Making Accra cleanest city in Africa by 2020: Akufo-Addo making progress?
- Obuasi alive with clients exhibition, trade show
- SONA 2019: Toilets provision evidence of $1m for each constituency pledge
- Photo of the week: The Rawlings-Akufo-Addo bromance continues
- Gov't announces plans to avert perennial Bagre Dam spillage
- GES to introduce new curricula for next academic year
- SONA 2019: Akufo-Addo breaks silence over Menzgold saga
- SONA 2019: Akufo-Addo announces new curriculum for KG to P6
- SONA 2019: 62nd Independence Day celebrations to be held in Tamale
- SONA 2019: I'm mindful of next generation not next election – Akufo-Addo
- Aggrieved customers of Gold Coast Fund Management threaten demo
- Newspaper headlines: Thursday, February 21, 2019