Drama unfolded at the General Legal Council (GLC) premises Thursday, following a threat by Kennedy Agyapong to remove the mask of Anas Aremeyaw Anas while both parties left the GLC building.
The panel, obviously unhappy about the comment by the Assin Central Parliamentarian, told him that if he dares touch Anas or any of his team members’ mask, they would have him arrested and charged for assault.
Kennedy Agyapong left the GLC angry and complained to the panel that they did not show respect to him. Meanwhile, the MP has not publicly commented on the issue.
The panel is made up of distinguished Supreme Court Judges, Retired Supreme Court Judges as well as a senior member of the legal profession.
The GLC yesterday dismissed a complaint filed by the MP for Assin Central, against ace undercover investigative journalist Anas Aremeyaw Anas,
It declined jurisdiction in a complaint of professional misconduct brought against Anas on the grounds that Anas was not a lawyer at the time the alleged incident happened.
It further directed the MP to report Anas to the police if he felt Anas was corrupt.
According to the GLC, Anas was neither the police nor the Attorney-General to terminate a trial.
Recall that the MP, in July 2018, dragged the undercover journalist to the GLC, claiming that Anas misconducted himself professionally as a lawyer in a manner that bordered on “moral turpitude.”
The complaint letter dated July 5, 2018, and addressed to the Chairperson of the Disciplinary Committee of the General Legal Council, asked that disciplinary action be taken against Anas as a lawyer.
According to the MP, Anas and a Chief State Attorney, Ms Ellen Kwawukume, connived to cause a fraud case to be dismissed.
He alleged that Anas’ style of investigations, which he described as “entrapping people” should not be countenanced.
This is not the first time Anas has bloodied the MP. Anas, for his part, has dragged Mr Agyapong to court for defaming him and is asking the High Court to award aggravated damages to the tune of GH¢25 million arising from defamatory materials published by the MP.
A sports journalist, Listowell Yesu Bukarson, has been granted the lawful attorney to stand in for Anas.
In another breath, Ms. Kwawukume, who is currently on retirement, has also sued the MP for GH¢25 million for defamation
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Stopping vigilantism requires full arsenal of conflict prevention - Ibn Chambas
- Islam, Christianity have more similarities than differences – Bawumia
- Remove barriers stopping introduction of GMOs – Graduate farmers tell gov't
- Akufo-Addo launches new cash crop programme
- Poor sanitation costs gov't $290m annually - Sanitation Minister
- Woman wakes after 27 years in coma
- ‘Kumasi market fires possible work of arsonists’ - Fire Service, KMA
- Sharubutu@100: Your speeches evoke wisdom - Rawlings celebrates Chief Imam
- CDD-Ghana adopts Senior Correctional Centers in Accra
- Chief Imam is an iconic leader - Mohammed Ibn Chambas
- Jailbreak: Convict, suspects escape from police cell
- As chief Imam turns 100, a clear message for all
- Guinness Ghana, partners urge drivers to drive safe
- Akim Oda: CAC gets 300 banquet chairs from businessman
- Family of military couple that died in flood wants gov’t support for 12-year-old son