Drama unfolded at the General Legal Council (GLC) premises Thursday, following a threat by Kennedy Agyapong to remove the mask of Anas Aremeyaw Anas while both parties left the GLC building.
The panel, obviously unhappy about the comment by the Assin Central Parliamentarian, told him that if he dares touch Anas or any of his team members’ mask, they would have him arrested and charged for assault.
Kennedy Agyapong left the GLC angry and complained to the panel that they did not show respect to him. Meanwhile, the MP has not publicly commented on the issue.
The panel is made up of distinguished Supreme Court Judges, Retired Supreme Court Judges as well as a senior member of the legal profession.
The GLC yesterday dismissed a complaint filed by the MP for Assin Central, against ace undercover investigative journalist Anas Aremeyaw Anas,
It declined jurisdiction in a complaint of professional misconduct brought against Anas on the grounds that Anas was not a lawyer at the time the alleged incident happened.
It further directed the MP to report Anas to the police if he felt Anas was corrupt.
According to the GLC, Anas was neither the police nor the Attorney-General to terminate a trial.
Recall that the MP, in July 2018, dragged the undercover journalist to the GLC, claiming that Anas misconducted himself professionally as a lawyer in a manner that bordered on “moral turpitude.”
The complaint letter dated July 5, 2018, and addressed to the Chairperson of the Disciplinary Committee of the General Legal Council, asked that disciplinary action be taken against Anas as a lawyer.
According to the MP, Anas and a Chief State Attorney, Ms Ellen Kwawukume, connived to cause a fraud case to be dismissed.
He alleged that Anas’ style of investigations, which he described as “entrapping people” should not be countenanced.
This is not the first time Anas has bloodied the MP. Anas, for his part, has dragged Mr Agyapong to court for defaming him and is asking the High Court to award aggravated damages to the tune of GH¢25 million arising from defamatory materials published by the MP.
A sports journalist, Listowell Yesu Bukarson, has been granted the lawful attorney to stand in for Anas.
In another breath, Ms. Kwawukume, who is currently on retirement, has also sued the MP for GH¢25 million for defamation
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Lordina Mahama bags Master of Laws degree in UK
- Desperate pet owner offers his home to whoever finds his lost dog
- Ban on hunting , capturing of wild animals begins August 1
- Sandwinners destroying water source for Asutsuare residents
- Methodist Church Ghana won't support same-sex marriage
- Gov't to establish permanent body to protect, ensure media freedom
- Advocacy group applauds NaCCA boss
- Germany, Norway support KAIPTC’s maiden Kofi Annan Peace and Security Forum
- Gov't reiterates commitment to protecting journalists
- Left to rot: $2m Hyundai Gallopers sold for $276k
- Anti-GMO groups to call foreign witnesses in GMO court case
- Adjaye refutes architects’ allegation - Says firm is doing legitimate business
- Newspaper headlines : Friday, July 19, 2019
- Teachers urged to encourage students to excel
- Police open investigation into fatal Akrokerri mine pit collapse