Police in Suhum have impounded five large wraps of dried leaves suspected to be Indian Hemp, aka ‘wee’.
The suspected narcotics were found in an Opel Astra cab with registration number GS 2345 -16 after the driver of the vehicle abandoned it and fled.
A night patrol team in the Eastern Region town, led by Chief inspector Stephen Asare, drove the Opel Astra taxi to the station and reported that during their duty tour they spotted the said vehicle at Kofigya village, a suburb of Suhum.
Regional Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Ebenezer Tetteh, said when the driver was signalled to stop, he failed but rather increased speed.
The vehicle, according to him was traced to an MTN Office at Suhum where it was abandoned.
The police spokesperson said a search conducted on the vehicle revealed five large bundles of a plant substance suspected to be Indian Hemp.
They also found a vehicle licence plate with registration number GR 286 – Y on the stash.
The vehicle and its content have since been detained at the station while strenuous efforts are being made to arrest the driver and other suspects in the matter, police said.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- 3 arrested for murdering 14-yr-old for ritual purposes
- Estate manager denies killer of GPHA manager came through gate
- Bosomtwe collapsed bridge hampering economic activities
- Infographic: How Menzgold crumbled to pieces
- Michel Camp explosions: Military will not relocate
- Gov’t advocates for more Forestry Commission resources
- Over 70 AK47 assault rifles illegally stashed at Alavanyo - Police
- PHOTOS: Michel Camp armoury explosions send ammunition into homes
- 2 nabbed in Kumasi for dealing in fake vehicle number plates
- Newspaper headlines: Wednesday, January 16, 2019
- Angel-Zoe Foundation donates to James Camp Prison, Borstal Home
- NAM 1 extradition should be easy – Antwi-Danso refutes contrary views
- Fire, explosions hit Michel Camp armoury
- Director of Education bemoans poor teacher competency in literacy, numeracy
- “Yellowman of Aleppo” has been wearing only yellow for 35 years