A school has banned bags for health and safety reasons leading some pupils to get creative with how they carry their books.
Jacob Ford, 17, disagreed with the policy at Spalding Grammar School after sixth-formers were ordered not to carry bags between classes.
The school stated that ‘injury was being caused to younger students’ because of ‘ever-larger bags’ being carried on their shoulders.
Jacob Ford took his books in a microwave to try and prove a point (Picture: Triangle News) Instead they are being encouraged to carry books by hand between lessons.
Previously bags were not allowed in years 7 to eleven, but until this year were allowed for sixth formers.
Jacob staged a silent protest by using a wicker basket and a microwave to make a point after a petition was started. 'Headless chicken sea monster' in Antarctica filmed for first time He also wrote a 3,000-word essay in which he says a compromise could be made.
He ended up being suspended for two days after he refused to hand over his mobile phone which he used to keep his mother Tracy updated about his ‘treatment’.
She said: ‘I think Jacob’s protest has been very peaceful and I believe he should have his say. He also took his things in a wicker basket (Picture: Triangle News)
‘At the end of the day, I believe in freedom of speech and so I’m very proud of him for standing up for something he believes in. Microwave or no microwave.’
Days after the rule was enforced, a petition began online. Hannah Catterall, who started the petition, said: ‘By not permitting backpacks students are unable to carry revision materials to and from school with ease and therefore grades may dramatically decrease.’
The petition was removed days later after gaining 463 signatures.
Bridget Allan, who has two children at the school, said: ‘I was outraged when I heard about the ban. I think it is ridiculous. ‘How can you even get to places on time with all the right books, let alone do things like sanitary towels.
The school doesn’t allow children to carry bags and that was extended to the sixth form after the summer holidays (Picture: Triangle News)
‘This is something all of the girls and female teachers are talking about.’ Noah Leatherland said: ‘Looks like I got out just in time, what a truly ridiculous rule. If I hadn’t had a bag to haul everything around, sixth form would have been 12 times less organised and 3000 times more miserable.’
Clair Thacker added: ‘My son attends this school and I was completely unaware of this absurd rule.
The school’s website outlines a uniform policy for sixth form for both male and female students but does not mention bags at all.
Head teacher Steven Wilkinson told Spalding Today: ‘The facts that have been presented are far from the full picture. ‘We have a student who has behaved in an increasingly inappropriate way, actions the likes of which I have never witnessed, and who has been sanctioned entirely in line with the school’s policies. ‘What disappoints me most is the fact that, rather than working with us, the parent concerned has encouraged and is now seeking to glorify her son’s behaviour.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- GPHA offers ¢50,000 bounty for killers of PR Manager
- Killing of football bribes investigator a dent on Ghana's democracy -GII
- Nigeria most dangerous country for Christians in West Africa - Report
- Newspaper headlines: Friday, January 18, 2019
- Building cathedral but removing RME from syllabus is hypocrisy – Educationist
- Pennsylvania police seek volunteers to get drunk for training exercise
- Wave of killings 'threaten right to life, liberty of Ghanaians' -- Amnesty Int'l
- The world's secret club of explorers
- Limiting killing to Kennedy Agyapong is letting killers loose - Security Analyst
- Undercover investigator killing: Homicide Unit takes over probe
- Killing of undercover investigator: President expects justice ‘as soon as possible’
- Kennedy Agyapong calls for Anas arrest over Ahmed murder
- Yendi gets $30m water supply project after peaceful chieftancy process
- Family of killed undercover investigator demand justice
- We are devastated by Hussein-Suale dastardly killing - Tiger Eye PI