If you are one of those who engage in the generating or sharing of false news, you may want to get out of business. This is because, the Information Minister-designate has indicated he is open to legislation against fake news.
Kojo Oppong Nkrumah said, he is ready to put in place strict measures to arrest the false news menace if confirmed as the substantive minister.
“I am open to that,” he told the vetting panel Friday.
This, Mr. Oppong-Nkrumah explained, may be based on practice in Kenya. The Eastern African country he noted, has passed the law to clamp down on fake news especially in the social media space.
According National Public Radio, US, the bill [passed by Kenya] allows for a fine of up to $50,000, two years of jail time, or both, to be imposed on any person who intentionally publishes false information.
The minister-designate however, did not commit to a deadline when the Akufo-Addo-led government will lay a bill for the pursuance of ‘killing’ fake news.
Mr Opponng-Nkrumah was nominated to head the Information Ministry after President Akufo-Addo reshuffled some of his ministers.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Tourism Ministry bags $40m World Bank loan
- 3 hospitalised after Kumasi gas explosion
- Bimbilla: Security moves to block celebration of Damba festival
- 5 Cape Coast SHSs trained by US chapter of Adisadel Old Boys
- Haunted mirror 'possessed by the ghost of the Titanic captain' up for auction
- Woman who called herself a vampire gets jail time for attacking man she thought was a werewolf
- This hotel room is smaller than a parking space
- 'Police yet to receive directive to interdict 21 officers'
- Solar-Powered Irrigation: A Boost for Farming Productivity
- Today's front pages
- Publish report on Manso-Nkwanta killings – MP demands
- Nutifafa Kuenyehia's address at 2018 School of Humanities congregation
- Manso Nkwata killing: MP calls for prosecution of “murderers” in uniform
- Number of Ghanaians studying in U.S. increases - Study
- Ghanaian named in BBC list of 100 most influential women