A two-week-old baby has allegedly been raped and is fighting for its life in the hospital.
The baby is in the paediatric unit at the Royal Belfast Hospital for Sick Children where it is being treated.
A man appeared in court earlier this week charged with rape and causing grievous bodily harm of a child, according to the BBC.
The baby was taken to hospital from the Annalong area of County Down.
Police said that a 25-year-old man was arrested and charged with rape and GBH with intent.
The attack is under investigation by detectives from the Serious Crime Branch.
His name cannot be reported in order to protect the baby’s identity and he has been remanded in custody at Maghaberry prison.
He made a brief appearance in court on Saturday September 29 and was remanded in custody at Newry Magistrates’ Court next Wednesday.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Four Africa city destinations you should visit right now
- Multimedia Group's Kwetey Nartey selected as 2019 Mandela Washington Fellow
- Church bans 'backpacks' over recent terror threat
- Imported arms controversy: ‘Weapons pose security threat’ – Abotsi
- Climate change lessons included in new basic school curriculum
- We have employed 350,000 public sector workers - Veep
- 2 siblings washed away while playing in the rain
- Man charged with reckless driving wants to go to jail than home to wife
- Google launches one-stop shop for flights, hotels
- Baako wants CID boss changed
- 2 Suspected robbers killed in shoot-out with police at Kasoa
- NIA shuts down online portal for Ghana Card registration
- 5 years on; Rawlings, other NDC stalwarts remember PV Obeng
- Abuakwa South MCE urges youth to desist from using illicit drugs
- Who will be Ghana’s next possible IGP? Find out here