A two-week-old baby has allegedly been raped and is fighting for its life in the hospital.
The baby is in the paediatric unit at the Royal Belfast Hospital for Sick Children where it is being treated.
A man appeared in court earlier this week charged with rape and causing grievous bodily harm of a child, according to the BBC.
The baby was taken to hospital from the Annalong area of County Down.
Police said that a 25-year-old man was arrested and charged with rape and GBH with intent.
The attack is under investigation by detectives from the Serious Crime Branch.
His name cannot be reported in order to protect the baby’s identity and he has been remanded in custody at Maghaberry prison.
He made a brief appearance in court on Saturday September 29 and was remanded in custody at Newry Magistrates’ Court next Wednesday.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Veep accident: Injured security personnel, passengers discharged
- Nyantakyi and another freed by court
- 233 communities to benefit from grid expansion in Ashanti Region
- Meteorological Agency gets 10 automatic weather stations
- 'Tinder for cows' matches livestock in the mood for love
- Establish counselling departments in schools – GNACC
- Spousal violence is a crime report all cases – CHRAJ
- Vice President involved in accident, one dead
- Photos: Hungary opens consulate in Kumasi
- GNPC CEO, Board Chair in turf war over Procurement Manager hiring
- Woman goes viral for reviewing brands of soap on how good they taste
- Short Commission: Police testimonies show breakdown in command, control – Bentil
- Manhyia widows praise Opoku-Prempeh
- Luxury car owners, others to protest tax
- This company will confess to your crush if you’re too shy to do it yourself