Seasoned journalist, Kwesi Pratt Jnr., has descended heavily on Menzgold and its CEO over the brouhaha involving the gold marketing firm, the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and Bank of Ghana (BoG).
He said the Bank of Ghana, SEC and all the appropriate state regulators in the financial sector not to spare Menzgold if indeed they're not operating within the remits of the laws of Ghana.
He told host Kwami Sefa Kayi on Peace FM's Kokrokoo that Menzgold just as any company or individual is not above the laws of country.
“Why should we spare someone saying if his company flouts the law and we’re sanctioning it, it will disturb some people? Whose company you touch won’t worry other people…The Securities and Exchange Commission and Bank of Ghana are protecting us, why then do we fight them?” he questioned.
According to him, the management of Menzgold should comply with the directives of SEC and acquire the right documents and licence to operate as a gold company.
CEO of Menzgold, Nana Appiah Mensah
Menzgold Ghana, a company trading in gold collectibles, has been directed to shut down by the Securities and Exchange Commission for not having a permit to operate.
The SEC wrote to the company, demanding that all trading in gold without licence be ceased.
It asked the company not to take new contracts (investments) and also halt broadcast and publishing of all its adverts.
This comes after the Central Bank warned customers and the general public from transacting business with Menzgold stating emphatically that it's unlicensed and any individual who deals with it do so at his or her own risk.
Some sympathizers of the company have begun a social media appeal with #IstandwithMenzgold and #JusticeforMenzgold with others demonstrating against the State regulators, claiming they're on a "witch hunt" agenda.
But Kwesi Pratt has called on Ghanaians to reason out why Menzgold hasn't proceeded to court to present their case if the company believes they're acting lawfully and that the SEC is oppressing them.
“If what the Securities and Exchange Commission is doing is unlawful, why doesn’t Menzgold go to court? Go to court and present your case…They should go to court and stop the Bank of Ghana, and stop the Securities and Exchange Commission”.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Yendi curfew reviewed
- UN expresses "strong condemnation" of Ahmed’s killing
- AIBF announces 2018 Literary Awards winners
- Yendi: One dead, 2 picked for disrupting rites to enskin new Ya-Na
- 'World's cutest dog' dies from 'heartbreak'
- NPP MP mounts defence for embattled colleague over killed undercover investigator
- 108 police personnel diagnosed with mental illness
- NAM1 will be in Ghana upon final determination of Dubai case – Police, EOCO
- Congressman proposes travel ban on Ken Agyapong over Anas' partner killing
- Investigator killing: Time to say enough is enough – Ken Ashigbey
- Photos: Killed undercover investigator buried
- Rev. Korankye Ankrah praises Chief Imam
- Yo-Naa Abubakari Mahama is new Ya Naa-elect
- It's time to nip creeping Fake News challenge in the bud – Oppong Nkrumah
- Ahmed murder an attack on press freedom – US Embassy