The independent committee set up to investigate the circumstances surrounding the shooting death of seven young men at Manso Nkwanta in the Ashanti Region has submitted its report to the Vice President.
The report was submitted to Dr Mahamudu Bawumia on Wednesday.
A statement signed by Abu-Bakar Saddique Boniface, Minister of State at the Office of the Vice President, indicated that the report has been forwarded to the Attorney General for study and advice.
The setting up of the independent committee was necessitated by the differing versions of the circumstances leading to the shooting and killing of the seven, who reportedly lived in Asawase, a suburb of Kumasi.
Seven people were shot dead by the police near Anhwiakwanta on the Kumasi-Obuasi road last month on suspicion that they were armed robbers.
A statement by the acting Chief of the Zongo (or predominantly Hausa-speaking community) in Kumasi, Ahmed Rufai said the seven are well-known members of their community denying any claims they were robbers.
“We appeal to everyone to remain calm and refrain from any activity that will escalate the tension and grief that has again befallen our community,” it added.
But violence erupted in Asawase between the youth of the community and the police leading to the firing of tear gas to disperse a spontaneous crowd protesting the fatal shooting.
The youths from Zongo communities gathered to demonstrate their displeasure after a government delegation arrived the Ashanti regional capital, Kumasi, to deliberate on the charged matter of reckless police shooting at Manso Nkwanta.
But the former Zongo minister said government wishes to have the matter resolved in as short a time as possible.
Expressing government’s condolences to the bereaved families, he assured that no effort will be spared to bring closure to this unfortunate incident.