Some angry youth at Ekumfi Ayisam in the Central Region nearly lynched the Deputy Minister Fisheries and Aquaculture Saturday.
Francis Ato Codjoe who is Member of Parliament for the area had gone to the town to attend some festivities on the invitation of the Chiefs.
According to the youth, the then candidate Francis Ato Codjoe promised to provide jobs and also make sure that Ekumfi Ayisam will get its own Senior High School if he was voted into office.
But speaking to Adom News’ Kofi Adjei some of the irate youth said the MP hasn’t fulfilled any of these promises.
“We are supporters of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) but because of the promises he made to us we voted for him. And after more than a year and half of being in office, we have seen nothing,” one of the youth said.
Speaking on behalf of his colleagues, the young man said they would vote massively against Mr Cudjoe come 2020.
However, addressing the gathering during the Ekumfi Ayisam festivities, Mr Codjoe urged the youth in the area to be patient. He added that the New Patriotic Party (NPP) is on course to fulfilling all its campaign promises.
“When we came to power, we introduced one district one factory -- which Ekumfi has benefited from -- Free SHS, re-introduced trainee allowances and many other projects so I urge you to be patient,” the legislator said.
The chief of the area has apologised to the MP over the incident; describing it as unfortunate. He noted that the traditional authorities invited the MP over so the youth had no business attacking him.
The timely intervention of the police saved the MP from the attackk.
Watch the video:
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Remove barriers stopping introduction of GMOs – Graduate farmers tell gov't
- Akufo-Addo launches new cash crop programme
- Poor sanitation costs gov't $290m annually - Sanitation Minister
- Woman wakes after 27 years in coma
- ‘Kumasi market fires possible work of arsonists’ - Fire Service, KMA
- Sharubutu@100: Your speeches evoke wisdom - Rawlings celebrates Chief Imam
- CDD-Ghana adopts Senior Correctional Centers in Accra
- Chief Imam is an iconic leader - Mohammed Ibn Chambas
- Jailbreak: Convict, suspects escape from police cell
- As chief Imam turns 100, a clear message for all
- Guinness Ghana, partners urge drivers to drive safe
- Akim Oda: CAC gets 300 banquet chairs from businessman
- Family of military couple that died in flood wants gov’t support for 12-year-old son
- Surviving disaster: Victim of Achimota building collapse becomes top producer
- Road crew gets failing grade after misspelling ‘school’ on school crossing