Over 200 teachers have applied to the Ghana Education Service to transfer them from their various stations in the Upper West region due to lack of accommodation.
Evans Kpebah, the Upper West Regional Director of the Ghana Education Service disclosed this to Joy News in an interview on the sidelines of an education improvement conference held in Wa.
He told Joy News' Rafiq Salam that the picture looks gloomy for the region when schools reopen in September because over 200 teachers have applied to be transferred outside the region.
According to him, the development does not augur well for a region that is already smarting from inadequate teachers and school infrastructure.
Education in the Upper West region has taken a nose dive.
Results of students who sat for the West African Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination (WASCE) and Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) in the last three years is the worse in a decade.
One major challenge attributed to the fallen standard of education in the region is the attrition rate of teachers.
The situation could be worse when schools reopen in September as over 200 teachers have applied for transfers to leave the region.
The transfers if granted will have a negative effect in an already dire situation especially on the Free Senior High School (SHS) programme of the government.
Watch the video report:
Have your say
More News Headlines
- SSNIT wants contribution rate reviewed
- Let’s collaborate to run mission schools - Presbyterian University president to govt
- GNPC Foundation secures scholarship for students in rural communities
- Ex-convict sent back to prison for stealing
- Retired army officer criticises presser on Canadian girls’ rescue
- Odumase police investigate alleged lynching of unidentified man
- 94-year-old World War II veteran gets high school diploma
- Spending time in nature boosts health, study finds
- ENA calls for gov’t support for persons living with albinism
- Kidnappers of Canadian women demanded $800k ransom
- Gun-toting primary 3 student released on bail for threatening headmaster
- Gov't to increase research funding for tertiary teachers
- Unemployed jailed 15 years for robbing MoMo merchant
- MPs aid strangers to breach security - Deputy Speaker
- Myjoyonline week in pictures: And the 2 Canadians were rescued!