Zonta Club of Accra has donated a quantity of medical consumables and furniture to the Haatso Government Maternity Centre to mark the 99th anniversary of Zonta International. The donation was to enable the Health Directorate kick start the operations of the Centre which hitherto was vacant.
The facility which has a labour ward, pharmacy, administrative office, an out patients’ department (OPD) and two focus antenatal rooms was built two years ago by the MP for the area, Madam Adwoa Sarfo with support from the Municipal Assembly and the Chief and people of the area.
The items valued at GHC 21,000, included three new hospital beds, medicine cabinet, 300 pieces of sanitary towels, syringes, needles, surgical and examination gloves, umbilical cord clamps, cotton wool, disinfectants and bleach. The furniture was made up of office chairs, desks and plastic chairs.
Presenting the items to the Deputy Director of Nursing Services (DDNS), Mrs. Rejoice Bansa, the President of the Club, Mrs. Janet Tamaklo, expressed Zonta’s concern with mother and baby welfare and said the Club was pleased to contribute to equipping the newly constructed Maternity Centre.
She said the Centre would assist in reducing mortality rate in the community with proper antenatal care, safe deliveries and appropriate advice from professional midwives. She added that the presence of professional midwives would afford the community needed advice on underage pregnancies and the risks involved.
The Ga East Municipal Health Director, Dr. Justice Hoffman, expressed the Directorate’s appreciation to the Club and promised that the items would be well taken care of and the consumables put to good use.
In line with the objectives of Zonta International, the empowerment and welfare of women is of utmost importance. The Club, therefore, decided to assist the Health Directorate in ensuring that the Centre was opened to offer the much-needed maternity services to the Haatso community and its environs.
Present at the ceremony were staff and midwives of the Maternity Centre as well as some members of the Zonta Club of Accra.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- March to decriminalise marijuana gets EFL support
- Zongo chief takes on UEW Vice Chancellor over discord at university
- Over 98% of ABFA cash pumped into free SHS in 2018 – Report
- Why you will pay 18.1% more for water
- Multimedia Group's Richard Kwadwo Nyarko selected as Africa fact-checking fellow
- Newspaper headlines: Tuesday, June 25, 2019
- Aggressive seagulls keep couple hostage in their own home for six days
- Video: Meet Sarafina, the 16-year-old anti-child marriage campaigner
- Paris planning flying taxis by 2024
- NSMQ2019 one-eighth stage: Day 1 thrills as KSTS, Porters are sent packing
- Special Feature on 1V1D: Complaints by communities gov’t should not ignore
- Archbishop Porter Girls bundled out of NSMQ2019
- Anas exposes ‘pastor’ allegedly forcing orphan to eat own poop
- Hotline Documentary: Killing our roses (III) – The Aftermath
- NSMQ2019: Presec restores contest to factory setting after R1 loss