The Media Foundation for West Africa (MFWA) is concerned about threats issued against Kwakye Afreh-Nuamah by persons associated with the ruling New Patriotic Party (NPP).
Afreh-Nuamah, a journalist with TV3 and 3FM, both operated by the Media General group received death threats for criticising the performance of the Minister for Water Resources and Sanitation.
Narrating the incident to the MFWA, he said at about 3:00 pm on Tuesday, January 30, 2018, he received a phone call from one Hajia Boya Musah, who described herself as a member of Ghana’s ruling NPP.
“As soon as I picked the call, she started attacking me, questioning the motive for my constant criticism of the Minister on my Facebook wall. She said I will be crippled and even killed if I don’t stop attacking the Honourable Kofi Adda,” Afreh-Nuamah said.
Afreh-Nuamah said he reported the threat to the Nima Divisional Police and tendered in evidence a recording of Hajia Boya’s verbal assault.
The Divisionl Police Commander, DSP Paul Mensah Bampoe, confirmed to the MFWA that a complaint has been lodged and his outfit is investigating the matter.
Meanwhile, the journalist says another party activist of the NPP, Hajia Fati, also called a day later to threaten him for reporting Hajia Boya Musah to the police.
The MFWA condemns the threats against Kwakye Afreh-Nuamah. The work of the Minister of Water Resources and Sanitation is a legitimate subject for public discussion and as a journalist and citizen, Afreh-Nuamah has the right to criticise his performance without any fear.
We call on the police to thoroughly investigate the matter and bring the assailants to book. We urge the Management of Media General and the Ghana Police Service to put in place measures to ensure the safety and security of the journalist.
We also call on the leadership of the NPP to caution its members and activists against threatening to harm journalists and individuals who criticise the government.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Tarzan chides Akufo-Addo, Sakyi-Addo, Kan Dapaah over Radio Gold, XYZ closure
- Akufo-Addo administration has worse press freedom record – Tarzan fires
- Israel Embassy launches competition to promote green innovation
- Media houses join hands in #DefendMediaFreedom campaign
- Immediate past IGP not free of contempt charges – Srem-Sai
- Efforts to end water scarcity must be science-driven – Expert
- That’s My Opinion: ’Good citizens are not born’
- Video: Adenta-Madina residents refuse to use highway footbridge
- Medical report declaring MP murder suspect sane for trial challenged
- Afoko contempt case: IGP, CID boss fail to show up on judgement day again
- Akufo-Addo directs IGP Apeatu to hand over to deputy
- World Population Day: Support, empower adolescents in fight against teenage pregnancies
- Danger! LPG cylinders' safety compromised
- CID investigation in Bissue’s case ‘unhelpful distraction’ - Tiger Eye