An Accra Circuit Court has sentenced four persons for various offences in a stealing case involving GH¢643,000.00 worth of goods.
Osman Abdallah who was charged with stealing was fined Gh¢1,800.00 or in default spend two and half years in prison whilst Yakubu Andani who was charged with abetment was convicted in absentia to a fined of Gh¢1200.00 or in default spend two years in prison.
The two had earlier pleaded not guilty to stealing and abetment respectively but were found guilty after trial.
The rest Alhassan Musah and Sulemana Issah pleaded not guilty to dishonestly receiving stolen items but they were found culpable and both were fined Gh¢2,400.00 each or in default would serve three years imprisonment each.
Their counsel pleaded for mitigation in that they were first time offenders as well as breadwinners of their families and should be spared custodial sentences.
Prosecuting, Police Superintendent Alex Odonkor told the Court presided over by Madam Mariam Affoh that Abdul Razak Alhassan Gariba is the prosecution witness and a merchant.
He said Abdallah is a security officer of Gariba whereas the rest of the convicts are scrap dealers.
The Prosecution said Gariba owns a road construction equipment yard at Ashaiman.
The Prosecution said on January 12, 2015, Gariba returned from a trip and discovered at his yard that 64 pieces of Precast, metal mould, a mobile wielding plant, two hydraulic D6H pumps, two transmission D6H pumps, dozer starters and four electric motors valued GH¢643,000.00 had been stolen.
Superintendent Odonkor said, Abdallah had also vacated his post.
A report was subsequently made to the police and through investigation it was found that the items were bought by the scrap dealers from Abdallah.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- World beard and mustache competition begins in Belgium
- UG begins Bachelor of Education programme
- Four Africa city destinations you should visit right now
- Multimedia Group's Kwetey Nartey selected as 2019 Mandela Washington Fellow
- Church bans 'backpacks' over recent terror threat
- Imported arms controversy: ‘Weapons pose security threat’ – Abotsi
- Climate change lessons included in new basic school curriculum
- We have employed 350,000 public sector workers - Veep
- 2 siblings washed away while playing in the rain
- Man charged with reckless driving wants to go to jail than home to wife
- Google launches one-stop shop for flights, hotels
- Baako wants CID boss changed
- 2 Suspected robbers killed in shoot-out with police at Kasoa
- NIA shuts down online portal for Ghana Card registration
- 5 years on; Rawlings, other NDC stalwarts remember PV Obeng