The president, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has directed the arrest of the President of the Ghana Football Association over fraud.
Kwesi Nyantakyi is believed to be engaged in some influence peddling using the name of the president.
The directive follows an investigative piece by ace investigative journalist Anas Aremeyaw Anas.
Deep throat sources at the presidency told Joy News the president and his team had watched excerpts of the video in which Mr Nyantakyi was seen negotiating for an amount of money using the name of the president.
A directive was subsequently issued to the CID to have Mr Kwasi Nyatakyi arrested.
The embattled football head is likely to answer charges of defrauding by false pretense.
The content of the video is likely to confirm a strongly held opinion about corruption in football administration in the country, perception spokespersons in the Football Association have been quick to deny.
Mr Nyantakyi only days ago signed a $10million sponsorship deal for the premier league which has run for some three years without a sponsor.
It is not clear what the new sponsors- Zylofon Cash- will do or say with the new twist of event.
A Deputy Chief of Staff Abu Jinapor who confirmed Joy News’ exclusive said the president takes serious view of the damning revelations contained in the Anas video.
Having been seized with the facts as contained in the video, Abu Jinapor said the president conferred with his lawyers and others who believed a prima facie case has been triggered for investigation.
According to him, Nyantakyi attempted to use the name of the president and vice president to induce potential investors to part with various sums of money
“The president takes a serious view of this and believes it is a case of criminal conduct,” Jinapor said.
The Deputy Chief of Staff said investigations have since begun.
'Scatter' at FA
Checks at the FA headquarters indicate the offices have been reduced to a 'ghost town.'
Joy News' Ernest Manu reported seeing a number of cars drive out shortly after Joy News broke the news of the arrest warrant for the president of the FA.
Reports say Mr Nyantakyi is currently in Morroco and will turn himself in to the police CID when he arrives tomorrow.
More News Headlines
- 3 houses burnt down in renewed clashes in Savannah Region
- Video: Cronyism, exceptionalism killing local financial institutions - Wereko-Brobby
- New monitoring, evaluation system rolled out for malaria control programme
- Communication Ministry responds to Myjoyonline report on 2017 expenses
- 2 'PDS' imposters arrested for forcefully disconnecting supply
- Journalists schooled on reporting on sensitive issues
- Ghana Grand conquers most difficult terrain
- Personality Profile: Prophet Kofi Oduro takes his turn
- Group calls for passage of Affirmative Action Bill
- We don’t oppose good education policies- Oppong Nkrumah
- Those who lost bank jobs have found new work- Deputy Employment Minister
- UNDP to use TICAD7 to advance sustainable development in Africa
- Former GJA president lauds Herbert Mensah, others for supporting journalism dev’t
- Hotel room rates in Accra ranked 2nd in Africa after Addis Ababa
- MTN Heroes of Change final slated for Friday