The Cocoa Buyers Association of Ghana has fought back attempts by Joy News to air an investigative documentary detailing massive cocoa theft through the adjustment of weighing scales by produce clerks.
They have filed an appeal, Wednesday seeking to overturn the High Court decision dismissing their earlier application for an injunction to restrain the airing of the Hotline documentary.
The ‘Missing Kilos’ documentary by the Multimedia Group Limited is an investigation by Joy News' investigative journalist Kwetey Nartey which was due for broadcast in February 2018.
The documentary shows an instance where a 70kg bag of cocoa weighed variously at 56kg, 61kg, and 64kg because of fraudulent adjustment of scales.
Ghana Cocoa Board (COCOBOD) has decried the stealing of cocoa beans and the investigative journalist has simply found evidence useful to the public.
But the License Buying Company (LBC) ran to court alleging the documentary "contains unfair and unverified allegations of crime made against the companies".
They asked that the court restrains Multimedia Group from airing the documentary.
But Justice Anthony Yeboah in his ruling said blocking the airing of the documentary will amount to a pre-emptive censorship of unknown material.
He held that the Association can be adequately compensated if it wins the substantive defamation case after the airing of the video.
However, LBC has gone back to court saying the Judge erred in law when he decided to rule on the injunction application despite the fact that a motion had been filed by Multimedia asking that the defamation case should be dismissed.
According to them the day when the decision was delivered was not fixed for that ruling.
They also rely on portions of the Judge's decision, which said the defamation case was not frivolous only to proceed to turn down the request for the injunction.
They want Appeals Court to set aside the ruling of the high court. But even before that is done, they want the court to put on hold the airing of this documentary till the appeal is decided.
Respecting their right to sue, Lawyer for The Multimedia Group, Samson Lardy Anyenini said: "it is good practice to not to show the documentary on the orders of the court."
"I would always want that the integrity of the administration of justice should be upheld and these kinds of attitudes should be what entities like Multimedia Group should be showing," he emphasised.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- FGM practices in Ghana: A note to the Ministry of Gender, Child and Social Protection
- Relegating local dishes to background cause of low productivity
- Love potion for sale: Herbalist claims to possess powers that prevent divorce
- I don’t know why my men wore masks - SWAT Commander Azugu
- 'My boys overacted' – SWAT commander tells Short Commission
- Komla Dumor family outlines 5th-anniversary plans
- 6 new districts to be inaugurated on Tuesday
- Newspaper headlines: Monday, February 18, 2019
- Ghana Publishing Company, KNUST sign deal to promote research, skills dev’t
- Ghanaian engineers urge gov’t to intensify investment in technology, innovation
- GIS to begin nationwide crackdown on landlords renting out to ‘illegal residents’
- Top UK high schools to recruit students, footballers in Ghana
- Woman goes viral for reviewing brands of soap on how good they taste
- 5 best trips for solo travellers
- UN experts urge govt to ensure justice for slain Ahmed