United Press for Development Network (UPDN), noted for championing the fight against media brutalities, is organising the maiden Press Freedom Lecture on Thursday, April 11.
The event dubbed “Ahmed Suale Press Freedom Memorial Lecture” and will be hosted at Ghana Institute of Journalism (GIJ), Ridge-Accra, at 11 am.
It will empanel press freedom ambassadors and like-minded persons, educationists, media experts, student journalists to confer on the causes to the shameful worsening spate of assault on the press and murder in Ghana and find solutions accordingly.
UPDN has a track record of championing press freedom, media professionalism, international standards and ethical journalism in Ghana.
Guests specially invited the event are: Kojo Oppong Nkrumah (Minister for Information, Member of Parliament for Ofoase Ayerebi Constituency), Ing. Kenneth T. Ashigbey (Chief Executive Officer, Ghana Chamber of Telecommunication also Convenor Media Coalition against Galamsey) and Mrs Diana Heymann Adu (Acting Dean, Faculty of Journalism, Ghana Institute of Journalism)
Others are Dr Affail Monney (President, Ghana Journalist Association), Dr Emmanuel Kuku Biney (Chief Executive Officer, Media 7 Broadcast Group) and Tiger Eye PI.
The family of Tiger Eye PI’s Chief Investigator, Ahmed Hussein Suale, who was murdered by some unknown assailants, have been invited to grace the occasion.
In an interview with Kofi Asante Mensah, Principal Servant UPDN and Convenor of Press for Justice Coalition (PJC), he mentioned that all is set for the noble beginning of what he describes, “….the National Press Freedom Dialogue is here, we are starting very small and by the grace of God we will get there with time and humbleness….”
The event is on the theme “Media for Democracy: Journalism and Elections in Times of Disinformation” (the official theme for the World Press Freedom Day to be marked in Ethiopia on May 3, 2019). The maiden Press Freedom is sub-theme “Media for Democracy: Ghana’s Right to Information Law, catalyst for Change?”
Admission for the event is free.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- World beard and mustache competition begins in Belgium
- UG begins Bachelor of Education programme
- Four Africa city destinations you should visit right now
- Multimedia Group's Kwetey Nartey selected as 2019 Mandela Washington Fellow
- Church bans 'backpacks' over recent terror threat
- Imported arms controversy: ‘Weapons pose security threat’ – Abotsi
- Climate change lessons included in new basic school curriculum
- We have employed 350,000 public sector workers - Veep
- 2 siblings washed away while playing in the rain
- Man charged with reckless driving wants to go to jail than home to wife
- Google launches one-stop shop for flights, hotels
- Baako wants CID boss changed
- 2 Suspected robbers killed in shoot-out with police at Kasoa
- NIA shuts down online portal for Ghana Card registration
- 5 years on; Rawlings, other NDC stalwarts remember PV Obeng