A newly-married woman from the UAE recently filed for divorce from her husband, who she accused of being too cheap and making her pay for everything.
Arabic newspaper Al Baiyan reports that the unnamed woman filed a case in the Personal Status Chamber at Abu Dhabi court, asking for a divorce from her Iranian husband, even though they were technically still in their honeymoon.
She claims that the man, who is 13 years her junior, asked her to pay for everything, including groceries and bills for electricity and water.
The scorned woman is apparently so determined to be rid of her husband that she agreed to waive all of her rights just to get the divorce.
The woman complained that her “cheap” husband specifically asked her to register all utility bills under her name, claiming that he had lost all of his personal documents. Her attorney told the court that the man even asked her to handle all the registration for services, while he had his personal documents processed.
“He didn’t spend a penny on this marriage,” the woman said, adding that even though she bought all the furniture in their house, instead of showing his appreciation, her husband started neglecting her. She couldn’t stand it anymore and filed for divorce before their honeymoon was over.
Compared to other blitz divorces we’ve featured in the past, this one actually came pretty late in the marriage.
Earlier this year we wrote about a couple who divorced 3 minutes after getting married, after the husband insulted his wife by calling her “stupid”. There was also the case of a husband who divorced his bride 15 minutes after marrying her, because he couldn’t reach a dowry agreement with his father-in-law.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Just in: Gunmen abduct Indian businessman in Kumasi
- Tourists get thrilling Easter experience at Ghana’s top destinations
- Disclosing info on missing Taadi girls dangerous - AG
- We can’t bring Menzgold CEO home just yet – Attorney General
- Aker Energy proposal deadline not Friday – Energy Ministry refutes
- Tipper truck runs into building; injures 2 teenagers
- Photo of the week: Throwback as Chief Imam turns 100 years
- Minister orders reassignment of GHA Roads Toll Manager
- Filipino man has been nailed to a cross every Good Friday for 33 years
- Swedru Municipal guards assault case referred to ADR
- GhanaPostGPS requirement for ID card lands at Appeals court
- Bawumia to partake in Oxford University series of lectures
- UK school principals to visit Accra in May
- The inside story of Aisha Huang: 'I watched her shoot a Ghanaian dead'
- 'Galamsey queen' was not exchanged for $2bn Sinohydro deal – Minister