The America government has congratulated the Densu Oyster Pickers’ Association (DOPA) and the Development Action Association (DAA) for the successful completion of the second annual oyster harvesting closed season.
Located in the Tsokomey community of the Ga South Municipal Assembly, both are local, community-led, non-governmental organizations committed to protecting Ghana’s oyster stock.
The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) supported the Ministry of Fisheries and Aquaculture Development’s efforts to facilitate the Densu Estuary Community Co-Management Plan for oyster resources.
As a result, DOPA, DAA, and other stakeholders, successfully implemented the annual, five-month closed season to boost oyster yields.
This Densu Estuary closed season is one of three pilot projects in Ghana to demonstrate the viability of coastal fisheries collaborative management.
USAID also supported the Ministry to develop a National Co-Management Policy, currently under review by the Ministry.
Fisheries Minister, Elizabeth Naa Afoley Quaye; Municipal Planning Officer of the Ga South Municipal Assembly, Dela Sasu and USAID/Ghana Economic Growth Acting Team Leader, James G. Lykos delivered remarks at the event lauding the successful partnership between government, DOPA, DAA, and Tsokomey community.
In his remarks, Mr. Lykos said, “The successful closed season proves that when the responsibility for decision-making is shared between government, citizens, and other stakeholders, resource management is more effective and sustainable.”
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Imported arms controversy: ‘Weapons pose security threat’ – Abotsi
- Climate change lessons included in new basic school curriculum
- We have employed 350,000 public sector workers - Veep
- 2 siblings washed away while playing in the rain
- Man charged with reckless driving wants to go to jail than home to wife
- Google launches one-stop shop for flights, hotels
- Baako wants CID boss changed
- 2 Suspected robbers killed in shoot-out with police at Kasoa
- NIA shuts down online portal for Ghana Card registration
- 5 years on; Rawlings, other NDC stalwarts remember PV Obeng
- Abuakwa South MCE urges youth to desist from using illicit drugs
- Who will be Ghana’s next possible IGP? Find out here
- Chinese man gets ten days in jail for giving his dogs “illegal” names
- Geddit Ghana announces winner of maiden promotion
- Zion College, Anloga celebrates 82nd speech and prize giving day