The America government has congratulated the Densu Oyster Pickers’ Association (DOPA) and the Development Action Association (DAA) for the successful completion of the second annual oyster harvesting closed season.
Located in the Tsokomey community of the Ga South Municipal Assembly, both are local, community-led, non-governmental organizations committed to protecting Ghana’s oyster stock.
The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) supported the Ministry of Fisheries and Aquaculture Development’s efforts to facilitate the Densu Estuary Community Co-Management Plan for oyster resources.
As a result, DOPA, DAA, and other stakeholders, successfully implemented the annual, five-month closed season to boost oyster yields.
This Densu Estuary closed season is one of three pilot projects in Ghana to demonstrate the viability of coastal fisheries collaborative management.
USAID also supported the Ministry to develop a National Co-Management Policy, currently under review by the Ministry.
Fisheries Minister, Elizabeth Naa Afoley Quaye; Municipal Planning Officer of the Ga South Municipal Assembly, Dela Sasu and USAID/Ghana Economic Growth Acting Team Leader, James G. Lykos delivered remarks at the event lauding the successful partnership between government, DOPA, DAA, and Tsokomey community.
In his remarks, Mr. Lykos said, “The successful closed season proves that when the responsibility for decision-making is shared between government, citizens, and other stakeholders, resource management is more effective and sustainable.”
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Tarzan chides Akufo-Addo, Sakyi-Addo, Kan Dapaah over Radio Gold, XYZ closure
- Akufo-Addo administration has worse press freedom record – Tarzan fires
- Israel Embassy launches competition to promote green innovation
- Media houses join hands in #DefendMediaFreedom campaign
- Immediate past IGP not free of contempt charges – Srem-Sai
- Efforts to end water scarcity must be science-driven – Expert
- That’s My Opinion: ’Good citizens are not born’
- Video: Adenta-Madina residents refuse to use highway footbridge
- Medical report declaring MP murder suspect sane for trial challenged
- Afoko contempt case: IGP, CID boss fail to show up on judgement day again
- Akufo-Addo directs IGP Apeatu to hand over to deputy
- World Population Day: Support, empower adolescents in fight against teenage pregnancies
- Danger! LPG cylinders' safety compromised
- CID investigation in Bissue’s case ‘unhelpful distraction’ - Tiger Eye