A 33-year old unemployed Nigerian, Obinna Mba, who defiled a 12-year-old girl at Nungua, has been sentenced to seven years imprisonment by an Accra Circuit Court.
This was after the court found him guilty on the charge of defilement at the end of the trial.
The court presided over by Rita Abrokwah Doko, ordered the deportation of Mba to Nigeria after he had served his sentence.
Prosecuting, Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Agnes Boafo, narrated that the complainant is the mother of the victim. The victim, mother and Mba resided in the same vicinity at Nungua in Accra.
DSP Boafo said in August, last year, Mba’s sister sent the victim to collect some sacks at her shop so she could pack some plantain leaves into them.
On reaching the shop, she met Mba, who lured her into the shop and had sex with her. After the act, Mba warned the victim not to disclose the act to anyone else she would die.
Prosecution said due to fear, the victim kept the ordeal to herself.
However, Mba became so close to the victim afterwards and her mother became suspicious of their relationship.
When the victim’s mother questioned her over the said relationship, the victim let the cat out of the bag and a report was made to the Domestic Violence and Victim’s Support Unit, Nungua.
The complainant was issued with a medical form to seek medical attention for the victim and based on the report, the police arrested Mba.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Special Prosecutor asked to explain fuel theft by staff
- Akufo-Addo must ensure no GMO in Ghana’s Agric agenda – FSG
- Photos: Eugene Arhin supports Muslims at Awutu Bawjiase
- Global Agric firm calls for increased investments in research
- Radio Gold, XYZ staff and others hit Accra streets over closure of radio stations
- Kumasi: Heavy downpour revives fear for lives, properties
- Photos/Video: Floods wreak havoc in Accra
- Peace Council urge gov't to extend training on terrorism to citizens
- Newspaper headlines: Tuesday, May 21, 2019
- Threat of terror: ‘Be vigilant of suspicious behaviours’ - GPCC
- This woman claims she can’t find a job because of her good looks
- The ‘sacred forests’ of northern Ethiopia
- We're confident missing Taadi girls will be found - Ghana Gas to families
- Police retrieve Stonebwoy’s pistol
- 6th National Policy Summit launched