Many Ghanaians have commended the National Chief Imam of Ghana for worshipping with Christians at the Christ the King Parish, in Accra, on Easter Sunday.
Sheikh Osman Nuhu Sharubutu’s gesture is ahead of the celebration on his 100th birthday celebration, on Tuesday, April 23.
“He is simply phenomenal - Sheikh Nuhu Sharubutu!” a middle-aged Christian woman said.
“Over the years he’s impressed us with his quiet but imposing demeanour - always speaking wisdom, always choosing the way of peace and love and encouraging his followers to do same.”
A man who describes himself as a ‘staunch Catholic’ said: “This is good, this is historic! I have always admired him for his pristine nature and laudable leadership style. I pray he continues to grow in greater grace and wisdom”.
Ms Agnes Andah, a young lady, also said, choosing Easter, of all occasions, to make the visit spoke volumes of the Spiritual leader’s maturity and understanding of the deep things of God.
On social media, where the pictures of the event have gone viral, many have invariably said the gesture would boost the highly commendable peaceful co-existence between Ghanaian Christians and their Muslim counterparts.
Reports say the congregants at the Easter Service were ‘pleasantly surprised’ when the Parish Priest, the Reverend Father Andrew Campbell, welcomed the National Chief Imam, with his large entourage.
On Saturday, the Office of Sheikh Sharubutu released a statement announcing that,
“The entire Ghanaian Muslim Community, including some leaders of non-Muslim Faith, is all gearing up for the all-yearlong celebration of a National ICON of peace, unity and development”.
“Many are those who were fathered, taught and nurtured by this noble, humble and great man of Allah for a number of decades...,” the statement said.
The activities include Quranic recital contests, a lecture series to be launched by Vice President Mahamudu Bawumia, special prayers, blood donation exercises and fun games.
A Professorship Award would also be conferred on Sheikh Sharubutu, who is already a multiple award winner.
On Friday, Vice President Bawumia joined worshippers at the Jummah Prayers to pray for the Spiritual leader as well as the nation, and its leadership.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Rawlings congratulates Mamfe Girls robotics team
- Newspaper headlines: Thursday, May 23, 2019
- Krobo-Odumase: Police beef up security following violent anti-PDS protest
- Achimota primary school denies student kidnapping claim
- Couple leave newborn baby in taxi on way home from hospital
- 10 ultimate travel experiences in Africa
- Media, security personnel train in civil-military relations
- Accra International Book Festival hosts South African writer on ‘Catch Up!’
- Year of Return: African diaspora & the significance of their return
- Boy shot dead, scores injured as Odumase protest against PDS
- Twellium Industry donates towards Alajo mosque rehabilitation
- Military officers, security experts get Peace Operations training
- Gov't provides 21 mechanised boreholes to Ghana Prisons Service
- Major Mahama murder trial: Prosecution invites 10th witness
- Special Prosecutor Office becoming butt of a joke – Suhuyini