Former President Jerry John Rawlings has said the National Chief Imam’s wisdom and “strong sense of purpose” have contributed significantly to the country’s peace and stability.
In a tweet Tuesday, the former leader in a glowing tribute said, “Sheikh, you are revered across the religious divide for your good leadership, wisdom and strong sense of purpose."
Mr Rawlings could not hide his admiration for the man who “hardly speak but when you do, it evokes only wisdom” when Sheikh Osman Nuhu Sharubutu celebrates his centenary birthday.
“I pray for Allah’s greatest blessings as you chalk one century on this earth...May your life continue to impact positively on Ghanaians,” he added.
Happy 100th Birthday Sheikh Nuhu Sharabutu, National Chief Imam... pic.twitter.com/aQX4GiMcHd— Jerry John Rawlings (@officeofJJR) April 23, 2019
Many Ghanaians have commended the National Chief Imam for worshipping with Christians at the Christ the King Parish, in Accra, on Easter Sunday ahead of the celebration on his 100th birthday celebration.
“He is simply phenomenal - Sheikh Nuhu Sharubutu!” a middle-aged Christian woman said.
“Over the years he’s impressed us with his quiet but imposing demeanour - always speaking wisdom, always choosing the way of peace and love and encouraging his followers to do same,” another person said.
His visit to the church has got the world talking with the BBC streaming the video as it debates Ghana’s interreligious tolerance and peaceful co-existence feat.
This comes at a time when across the world, Muslims are being killed in while in worship by people who are intolerant of other religions.
Social media is awash with good wishes as thousands of Muslims, Christians and other faith-based religions keep wishing him a great day and long life.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- ‘Galamsey’-induced water crisis spreads through Cape Coast
- Security Warehouse wins Outstanding Electronic Security Company in West Africa
- Church leaders must ensure security on church premises - Opuni-Frimpong
- Let's fight poverty not each other - Bawumia calls for peace in Chereponi
- 3 persons jailed for receiving stolen items
- Self-styled journalist charged for fraud
- UN chief deplores lack of civilian protection in armed conflict
- Freedom of worship is not complete in Ghana - Abotsi
- Let's develop national character for sustainable good governance - Rawlings
- MTN Heroes of Change Season 5 10 finalists named
- Photos: Careguide Montessori School marks AU Day
- PDS waives over ¢100m for Krobo Odumase residents
- Photos: Articulated truck tumbles on the Kwame Nkrumah Overhead
- Ghanaian scientist, Prof. Torto awarded Agropolis Louis Malassis Prize
- The Odumase bill that has led to a kill