TripAdvisor has named Singapore Airlines as the world's best for 2019 in its annual Travellers' Choice awards for Airlines.
Identifying travellers' favourite carriers for the third year running, the website recognised airlines from Australia and around the globe, using an algorithm that determines the quantity and quality of airline reviews and ratings submitted by travellers across the world over a 12-month period.
Singapore was also named the favourite last year, with a top 10 line-up not too dissimilar from 2018.
One reviewer issued the airline with a near-perfect review of its economy seats on one of its A380s. "I used Singapore Airlines three times on a recent trip to New Zealand and back, and was so impressed, especially with the consistency of standards. I had plenty of legroom, the food was excellent and the crew so friendly and helpful. Every interaction I had was greeted with a warm and genuine smile. Nothing was too much bother, and often my needs were anticipated before I could make a request. If I made the trip again, I would definitely use Singapore Airlines."
Qatar Airways replaced Air New Zealand in the second spot this year. A reviewer commented how impressed they were honouring requests from frequent flyer cardholders to sit on the upper deck of the A380. "Even though I travelled economy class, I still got a pre-flight drink. Now that is service!"
Qatar Airways Airbus A380 economy class seats. Photo: Shutterstock
EVA Air rose up a notch to third position, with a contributor raving about receiving "real cutlery and a menu" for food service in economy, while also sitting in seats that recline further than other airlines at a great price point. EVA is a Taiwanese airline that code-shares with Air New Zealand and is known for its Hello Kitty livery on a number of its Boeing planes.
Eva Air, Taiwan.
Elsewhere, Japanese airlines JAL and ANA were commended on their food and service, and Brazilian airline Azul and Emirates received kudos for their first-class service in economy. While Air New Zealand dropped six places to No. 8 in the rankings, its premium economy seats were praised for comfortable seats and great food.
ANA's sea-turtle themed A380 superjumbo. Photo: ANA
US darlings Southwest Airlines stayed in the No. 6 position, a favourite for allowing passengers two checked-in bags included in the ticket price – a very rare thing in the US, and British budget airline Jet2.com was mentioned for its efficiency and generous amount of legroom.
Bryan Saltzburg, president of TripAdvisor Flights said, "The airline industry continues to focus on improving the overall flying experience, and these award-winning carriers are at the forefront. Airlines worldwide recognise this Travellers' Choice award as a huge testament to consumer recognition."
TripAdvisor's Travellers' Choice Awards for Airlines:
Singapore Airlines (see A380 business class review)
Qatar Airways (see A380 business class review)
Emirates (see A380 economy review)
Japan Airlines (JAL) (see premium economy review)
Southwest Airlines (see economy class review)
Air New Zealand (see premium economy review)
ANA (All Nippon Airways)
Class of Service Global Winners, recognising airlines that provide excellent service in each cabin:
· Best First Class: Emirates
· Best Business Class: Qatar Airways
· Best Premium Economy: Air New Zealand
· Best Economy: Singapore Airlines
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Just in: Gunmen abduct Indian businessman in Kumasi
- Tourists get thrilling Easter experience at Ghana’s top destinations
- Disclosing info on missing Taadi girls dangerous - AG
- We can’t bring Menzgold CEO home just yet – Attorney General
- Aker Energy proposal deadline not Friday – Energy Ministry refutes
- Tipper truck runs into building; injures 2 teenagers
- Photo of the week: Throwback as Chief Imam turns 100 years
- Minister orders reassignment of GHA Roads Toll Manager
- Filipino man has been nailed to a cross every Good Friday for 33 years
- Swedru Municipal guards assault case referred to ADR
- GhanaPostGPS requirement for ID card lands at Appeals court
- Bawumia to partake in Oxford University series of lectures
- UK school principals to visit Accra in May
- The inside story of Aisha Huang: 'I watched her shoot a Ghanaian dead'
- 'Galamsey queen' was not exchanged for $2bn Sinohydro deal – Minister