Vodafone has partnered Women in STEM-Ghana (WiSTEM) to inspire young women at a Girls camp in the Ashanti Region.
The programme formed part of an annual empowerment platform for girls from 20 Senior High School on Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM).
A total of 200 students took part in the camp session, selected from the Brong Ahafo and Ashanti regions.
The event was also in collaboration with the Office of the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Science and Technology (KNUST).
Delivering a keynote address, Angela Mensah-Poku, Director of Digital Transformation and Customer Operations at Vodafone Ghana said: “Pursuing STEM subjects is crucial for sustainable development and the key to prosperity is for women to be interested and involved in driving this momentum. The achievement of some of the key Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) requires an active demonstration of the power of STEM education to make a difference. Today I urge you to know what you want, believe in yourself and embrace technology as it’s the future and the ultimate difference between winning and losing in this modern age.”
Ibok Oduro, Professor of PostHarvest Technology at the Food Science Technology department added that great care was taken to include students from less endowed schools but with tremendous potential to shine brightly in STEM programmes.
The programme has several components including digital coding and mentorship sessions to equip the girls with the requisite skills and confidence to embrace the digital future with confidence and optimism.
More News Headlines
- Corruption is toxic and prevailing in every sector -Anglican Bishop
- Missing Tardi girl’s family hold prayers to mark first anniversary
- Driver, mate jailed 17-years for robbery
- Police suspect contract killing in Otumfuo's Asamponhene murder
- Man with old TV set mask leaving old TV sets on people’s porches
- The top cities overrun by tourists
- KNUST supports winners of 2019 Presidential Pitch Season II Competition
- Akufo-Addo to open National Conference on AFCFTA Implementation Monday
- Adom FM editor wins Media Personality award at MTN Heroes of Change
- Otumfuo’s Asamponhene killed
- Blame shareholders for job losses in Savings and Loans crash - BoG
- Video: Two street preachers 'fight' in Kumasi
- The Ghana Grand tour: Celebs join UK High Commissioner for final lap
- Science set inventor, 26yrs, wins MTN Heroes of Change Season V
- African youth propose 'workable' solutions to achieving Africa beyond aid