The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said a message in a bottle found on a Texas beach was one of 7,863 released about 56 years ago.
NOAA Fisheries said Candy and Jim Duke were walking along Padre Island National Seashore near their Corpus Christi home when they found the bottle near mile marker 22.
A faded orange note inside the glass said "BREAK BOTTLE," but the couple instead elected to carefully extract the bottle's contents without breaking it.
NOAA said the bottle was one of 7,863 released between February 1962 and December 1963.
The agency said the bottles contained postcards and instructions for the finder to mail the cards with the date and location of the discovery in exchange for a 50-cent reward.
"The releases were part of a study to determine the role that water currents play in the movement of young shrimp from offshore spawning grounds to inshore nursery grounds," NOAA said.
The Dukes said the bottle will have a place of honour among their collection of treasures found during beach strolls.
It was unclear whether NOAA Fisheries gave them their 50-cent reward.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Kintampo accident: 35 persons burnt beyond recognition given mass burial
- 2019 Life Walk: ICGC donates ¢200K to Mental Health Authority
- Era of serving without promotion is over - Akufo-Addo tells police
- 'You are our most distinguished alumnus' - Buckingham University VC tells Bawumia
- Ancient Rome's sinful city at the bottom of the sea
- 7 Illegal Chinese miners arrested by ministerial committee
- No conspiracy in law school exams – Akufo-Addo
- Four remanded over kidnapping hairdresser
- Swedru municipal guard in assault case arrested
- Eugene Arhin recognised among 'Most Influential People of African Descent'
- Unemployed man remanded over robbery
- Absence of policy framework on road safety to blame for carnage - Lawyer
- NADMO distributes relief items to Chereponi victims
- Paul lobbied to appear on AWW Commission – Kofi Abotsi reveals
- Baako calls for ‘occasional’ media blacklist of Police Service