A woman has been diagnosed with a bizarre medical condition which she claims leaves her deaf to the voices of men.
The patient, who has only been named as Chen, said she felt sick and could hear ringing in her ears the night before and thought going to sleep might help.
But when she woke up she panicked when she realised she was unable to hear her boyfriend talking to her.
She took herself to Qianpu Hospital, in the city of Xiamen, East China, and quickly realised she could hear her female doctor’s voice perfectly.
Ear, nose and throat specialist Lin Xiaoqing said: ‘She was able to hear me when I spoke to her, but when a young male patient walked in, she couldn’t hear him at all.’
Dr Lin diagnosed her with a condition known as ‘low-frequency hearing loss’, after Chen said she had been working late recently, putting her body under stress and not getting enough sleep.
Doctor Lin believes fatigue and the added stress of long days may have contributed to the condition, which caused a loss of sensitivity to deeper sounds, and which only allowed her to hear sharper, higher-frequency sounds – such as the voices of women.
The ENT specialist revealed it is important to treat such symptoms quickly, adding that she expects Chen to make a full recovery.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Anas exposes ‘pastor’ allegedly forcing orphan to eat own poop
- Hotline Documentary: Killing our roses (III) – The Aftermath
- NSMQ2019: Presec restores contest to factory setting after R1 loss
- Water tariff goes up by 8%
- NSMQ2019: Pope John get KSTS revenge to qualify for quarterfinals
- 4 Gov’t officials in road crash; 3 in critical condition
- Photos: Down but not out, the traffic lights that direct nobody
- Pepsodent Ghana supports SOS children village 2019 Founder's Day celebration
- Newspaper headlines: Monday, June 24, 2019
- Operation Vanguard arrests 15 Chinese linked to illegal mining
- ICT project for Zanlerigu JHS stalled due to lack of funds
- Woman receives $35 fine for 15 years old seat belt offence
- Ghana to host maiden International Coconut Festival
- Gov't committed to dealing with climate change – Environment ministry
- Boyfriend of 'murdered' teacher, friend arrested in Odumase