A raging fire broke out Wednesday evening at the Odawna Market at the sprawling Kwame Nkrumah Circle in Accra.
The fire started around 8 pm and destroyed shops and other properties.
It took firefighters at least one-hour to bring the flames under control.
Wednesday evening’s fire comes barely 24 hours after fire and explosions hit the armoury belonging to the Ghana Armed Forces at Michel Camp Barracks in Tema also in the Greater Accra Region.
This is not the first time the Odawna Market has witnessed a destructive fire.
Photo: Personnel of the Ghana Fire Service used four fire tenders to bring the fire under control.
A similar incident at the market in 2013 destroyed numerous stalls.
Authorities cite people sleeping and cooking in the market for the fires.
No fatalities were recorded in Wednesday’s fire, however, the destruction caused to traders’ wares run into thousands of Ghana cedis.
An official of the Accra Metropolitan Assembly (AMA), Richard Mensah, told Joy News’ Joseph Opoku Gakpo that at least 85 shops have been destroyed.
Watch pictures from the scene of the fire in the Facebook feed below.
The cause of Wednesday's fire is not immediately known.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- From the newsstands: Thursday, March 21, 2019
- Police to deploy body cams in May
- It’s in Africa’s interest to fight climate change – Akufo-Addo calls for unified front
- Africa Climate Week signals continent's huge investment opportunity
- Chereponi SHS students demand police clearance to go home over conflict
- Russian city hosts painful face-slapping championship
- These are the happiest countries in 2019; Ghana improves on global rankings
- Kasapreko donates fire station worth GH¢400,000 to GNFS
- NSMQ: Two Presby schools progress as Akwamuman stops Abetifi Presby
- Assault on journalists: 3 police officers suspended
- Era of ‘missing dockets’ over as Akufo-Addo launches e-Justice project
- Experience Flight #7 made of recycled material, scraps from different aircrafts
- WiSTEM GH, GH Scientific organise girls STEM camp
- Joy FM Ghana Month: Can you read in your local language? Watch 4 students
- Man accidentally shoots himself after throwing gun at cockroach to kill it