Just hours into the Ayawaso West Wuogon by-election at the La Bawalashie Presby polling station Thursday, Joy News has confirmed that shots have been fired at the location. Photos obtained by Myjoyonline purport to show blood stains and bullet holes at the station’s grounds.
According to Joy News’ Roland Walker, several dozen security detail wearing black masks and shirts labelled NSC (National Security Council) stormed inside the polling station and began firing shots. The shots lasted 20 minutes. Police intervened as the personnel attacked what is suspected to be NDC activists.
Chairman of the NDC, Samuel Ofosu-Ampofo, told Daniel Dadzie on the Super Morning Show that at least six people have been critically injured and have been sent to Legon Hospital. Others have been sent to 37 Military Hospital.
Video: Shots fired as tensions rise in Ayawaso by-election
Meanwhile, MP for Prampram, Sam Dzata George posted online that he had just been assaulted by several members of the NPP Invicible Forces. He claims that they were wearing NSC shirts as well. George later added that two victims are dead and one is injured.
“[George] is traumatized. When I went to his home he was in the bedroom and couldn’t even move. I don’t understand why people would do this,” Ofosu-Ampofo said.
Video: Member of Parliament for Ningo Prampram, Sam George assaulted
Joy News cannot independently confirm the number of those dead or injured.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- President petitioned over David Adjaye contracts
- Factions in deadly Asokore Mampong feud pledge peace
- Form board or face legal action - Institute of Architects gives gov't ultimatum
- Withdraw bill to regulate training of lawyers – Legal practioners, MPs
- Foreign Minister itemises utilisation of $3b China loan
- Ugandan cows 'to get birth certificates'
- Immigration foils trafficking of 7 girls
- Ghanaian scientists to be profiled at landmark scientific meeting
- 2nd Edition of Driver & Road Safety Awards launched
- Suspend prosecution of Menzgold CEO, help us retrieve cash - Aggrieved customers
- Poly Tank receives second Superbrand award
- Rev. Steve Mensah, CEM to build ‘Ability Village' for PWDs
- Autism school nears collapse as ¢200k investment for kids is locked up
- Textbook publishers to be certified by NaCCA
- Afoko pleads not guilty to murder charges