The Volta Regional Police Commander has disclosed that some eight self-acclaimed Togolese soldiers inappropriately crossed over into Ghana.
DCOP Ebenezer Doku disclosed that the soldiers’ illegal mission was to arrest a suspected Togolese dissident who was thought to be hiding at Amoako, a suburb of Jasikan in the Volta region.
The Togolese soldiers' presence in Ghana was not communicated to Ghanaian authorities, and when their operation raised suspicions, locals set upon them and manhandled them.
According to DCOP Doku, out of the eight soldiers, the angry Jasikan locals managed to arrest three of them and tied one to a stake, ostensibly for execution.
”The police together with the District Chief Executive of Jasikan managed to rescue the three Togolese soldiers at Amoako (and were sent) to the Jasikan police station for questioning”, he said.
DCOP Doku explained that in the process of interrogating them, there were arrangements also to deport them.
“Because of the attack from Jasikan (Amoako) we needed to escort them to the border to ensure their safety.”
"We have gone ahead to inform the Ghana Interpol to get their Togolese counterparts to observe the International Convention on the arrest of citizens outside their sovereign state", he said.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- NSMQ2019: Pojoss get KSTS revenge to qualify for quarterfinals
- Four gov’t appointees in road accident
- Photos: Down but not out, the traffic lights that direct nobody
- Pepsodent Ghana supports SOS children village 2019 Founder's Day celebration
- Newspaper headlines: Monday, June 24, 2019
- Operation Vanguard arrests 15 Chinese linked to illegal mining
- ICT project for Zanlerigu JHS stalled due to lack of funds
- Woman receives $35 fine for 15 years old seat belt offence
- Ghana to host maiden International Coconut Festival
- Gov't committed to dealing with climate change – Environment ministry
- Boyfriend of 'murdered' teacher, friend arrested in Odumase
- Aluminium Dev't Corp reiterates readiness to engage mining companies
- Go to court to stop Nigerians, others from retail trade - Baako to GUTA
- Police’s ‘unlawful’ arrest of Nigerian lecturer criticised
- Court fines owners of stray cattle GH¢960