President of the Environmental Service Providers Association, Dr Joseph Siaw Agyapong, has called on the media to replicate the aggressive and massive approach adopted to publicise the galamsey menace on environmental sanitation in order receive equal attention given to government some years ago.
Dr Siaw Agyapong, who doubles as a Chairman of the JOSPONG Group of companies, wants strict enforcement of the existing environmental law to deal ruthlessly with environmental offenders which according to him will create a smooth path for players of the environmental management sector to work towards the achievement of President Akufo-Addo’s cleaner Ghana.
Dr Joseph Siaw Agyapong made the call during the annual get together of his association at the Ghana Trade Site at Labadi in Accra where members from all regions were presents.
“We have the adequate laws that should be enforced to ensure that the citizens keep the environment clean,” said Mr Agyapong.
He said some laws such as the Environmental Protection Agency Act and several others needs to be enforced.
He was of the view that his association has the capacity to manage the waste in the country with the Ghanaian solutions when environmental laws are enforced.
Mr Joseph Siaw Agyapong announced that additional 2,000 tricycles and 500 compaction trucks are ready to augment the existing fleet for waste collection, adding that tricycle operators will benefit from an award scheme which include cash prizes with two top lucky winners, who will have the chance to visit China as a part of their award.
Mr Agyapong disclosed that ten innovative mobile composting plants are ready to be deployed to various regions for an aggressive production of compost for agricultural use. A digitalized software application for identifying waste among others are also ready to be used by the public for onward collection of waste.
On his part, the Deputy Minister of Sanitation and Water Resources commended the association for its contribution to the management of sanitation in the country.
He announced that his Ministry introduced a national league table to display performance of the municipal and district assemblies to check which assembly or municipality is performing.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Corpses, carcasses in drought-hit Kenya
- World's most expensive cities revealed
- Settle your indebtedness to GBC or face prosecution - PAC
- Samira secures Indian scholarship and free care for special pediatric cases
- UEW Council stands by decision to sack 3 lecturers
- Did CAF steal Ghanaian beatmaker’s soundtrack?
- Climate summit: Groups express concerns over forest decline in Africa
- NSMQ: Nafana, 3 others win in Brong Ahafo qualifiers
- OBOSS shows who is boss in NSMQ2019 qualifiers
- That's My Opinion: ‘De-tribalising’ Ghana
- Driver, mate in police officer assault charged
- Council statement on recent disturbances on UEW Campuses in Winneba
- Chereponi: One more person dead as humanitarian crisis worsens
- YRE Ghana walks to demand climate change action
- Mum mortified after x-rated video for husband is shared with 2,000 Facebook pals